From: Anton Yasnitsky <the_yasya@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [xmca] Translations: just quit using and referring to Vygotsky (1962, 1978, 1986)!!
To: "ablunden@mira.net" <ablunden@mira.net>, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sunday, July 3, 2011, 9:19 AM

A coupla remarks.

FIRST.

RE David Kellogg wrote:
....You yourself have said you did not want
to use the MIT press version anymore. In their latest article on what
needs to be done in English, van der Veer and Yasnitsky have called the
Minick translation is "unusable". Meccaci is the best translation we have (according to van
der Veer). It's the ONLY translation of the original 1934 edition, you
know; ALL the others to date go back to 1956

If only I were to speak on behalf of  van der Veer and Yasnitsky (just in case, the ref is van der Veer, R. & Yasnitsky, A. (2011). Vygotsky in English: What still needs to be done [html && pdf]. Integrative Psychological and Behavioral Science; DOI: 10.1007/s12124-011-9172-9  ; the full text free of charge as pdf or html is here: http://www.springerlink.com/content/278j5025767m2263/ ), I would simply say:

Hey, guys! Please, could you quit referring to the outdated and essentially false editions of:
(a) Vygotsky (1962). Thought and Language and its derivative
(b) Vygotsky (1986). Thought and Language, and, finally,
(c) Vygotsky (1978). Mind in Society

Vygotsky *never* wrote *none* of these books! All of these were quite good back then and very much instrumental to where we are now (and many thanks to Mike Cole, Vera John-Steiner and their teams, and many others who made these editions possible back then), and are totally useless now. So, again, just *don't use them*!

INSTEAD, for instance, for Thinking and Speech (also notoriously known as Thought and Language, 1939, 1962, 1986), just use another translation, quite imperfect, but not quite unusable and definitely the best we have in English:

** Vygotsky, L. S. (1987). Thinking and Speech. In R.W. Rieber & A.S. Carton (Eds.) The collected works of L. S. Vygotsky, Vol. 1, Problems of general psychology (N. Minick, Trans.), pp. 39-285

SECOND.
As to David's remark that the Italian version of the text is the only one done from the 1934 original, -- I would not be so sure about that. Thus, e.g., long ago van der Veer mentioned "excellent translations" into German (1964) and Danish (1982); see p. 177 here: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/23054700/Thought-and-Language-Lev-S-Vygotsky-(newly-revised-translated . None of the languages are really among my strengths, but anybody interested is welcome to verify the van der Veer's claim.

THIRD.

RE Andy Blunden wrote:
"category" sometimes means "kategoria" ...

No, Andy. "Category" *always* means "kategoriia". And vice versa. But certainly not "collision" :). Feel free to verify this in any English-Russian-English (or any other)
dictionary  available on the surface of the Earth.

Cheers,
Anton