Re: [xmca] Further thoughts on Sfard's and Davydov's approaches to learning

Andy, Larry (Anna? David Kirshner? Are you out there?):

Jean Schmittau is the name you want. She tried Davydov's method on some New York elementary school students, and obtained some really amazing results. But the key difference turned out to be not between "activity" and "discourse" but rather between ways of teaching that posed the question of "part-whole" relationships. Measuring turned out to be rather better at this than counting, that's all.

We have been working on a slightly different problem. It's this:

T:How many apples?
S1:One.
S2:Two.
T: More than one? Less than two?
S1: More than one!
S2: Less than two!
T: Good. Now we are getting somewhere. But how MUCH more? How MUCH less?

You can see that counting and measuring are really connected here. But what are they connected TO?

Ss…"ban" (Half!)
T: Yes, “half”. But you know, “half” sometimes just means “a chunk” or “a hunk”. That’s not  good enough for math class, is it?
Ss: No!
T: Is it good enough for science class?
Ss: No!
T: Is it good enough for lunchtime?
Ss: Yes! No!
T: Hmmm…let’s be a little more mathematical. A little more scientific. Let’s call it something else. One plus two? No, that’s too much. Two minus one? Too much or too little?
Ss: Too little!
T: Right. Let’s see…suppose we take S1’s answer. And we DIVIDE it by S2’s answer. Like this!
Ss: 1/2!
T: Good! One…divided by…two. Or two divided by one? Which is bigger?
Ss: One divided by two! Two divided by one!
T: OK--two divided by one is too big. So let’s take one divided by two. Now, suppose we take S1’s answer. And we ADD this. What do we get?
Ss: One and half. Three halves. One point five.
T: Right. Now, suppose we take S2’s answer. Should we ADD or SUBTRACT this?
 …

Three things to notice here.

a) First of all, the answer is created by UPTAKING both answers and relating them in some way.

b) Secondly, the answer is created in a GENERALIZEABLE (not a lexical) way--by a relation, an operation, which can be generalized.

c) Thirdly, the answer is not complete. The teacher NOW has to play a game to demonstrate how it can be generalized into a system.

The game works like this. We start with a number, e.g. 3/2. Each child has to "rename" the number (e.g. 6/4, 1.5, etc.) and when a child makes a mistake, she sits down. Last "man" standing wins (one and a half apples is the prize, but they have to be shared!)

Now, for this to reveal the basic truth that Vygotsky hammers home in Chapter Six (viz. that ALL numbers, and indeed ALL CONCEPTS can be renamed an infinite number of ways, as long as they belong to a system), there are TWO things that have to be generalized, and they are logically separate:

First of all, it has to be seen that you can start with ANY number. This cannot be directly taught (because if the teacher suggests a number, it is no longer any number) but the teacher can be carefully careless about it, like this:

T: First, I give a number. Let's say...3/2. Nah, that's boring. We did three halves. Has anyone got a more interesting number?

Secondly, it has to be seen that the game can go on FOREVER. Again, this cannot be directly taught (because whenever a child makes a mistake the series ends). It can only happen as a result of play.

I guess what I would say about this is that it is not really about discourse or activity, but rather about play. Of course, both discourse and activity CAN be seen as play and indeed ARE seen as play by children. But the key component is not so much mediation as contradiction.

S2 contradicts S1. The teacher uptakes their contradiction and relates them in some way.

Division contradicts addition and multiplication, and allows "two" to contradict "one". The teacher uptakes this contradiction and relates it in an operation that can be generalized.

In generalization, the general contradicts the particular by making it universal and no longer particular. The teacher does this by playing a game in which "one" can be "anyone" and a finite series is potentially an infinite one (see "Any and Infinite").

But so do the past, the present, and Walt Whitman himself:

The past and present wilt - I have fill'd them, emptied them.
And proceed to fill my next fold of the future.

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

(Walt Whitman, Song of Myself)