Re: [xmca] Units of Scientiic Achievement

It's me, who never has the reference to hand, but apparently, there aren't
actual revolutions,  the dominant paradigm gets gets eroded and eroded over
time.

And yes, I can see the unit as the developed concept--but aren't we going to
have to describe what happens as this thing is *developing?* So I don't
think it is totally compelling. Of course I may be missing something, and
the cell concept of the concept is there all the time?  What do you think,
Andy?

Carol

On 20 June 2011 12:11, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> I have just re-read Kuhn's "Structure of Scientific Revolutions" after many
> years. As is often the case with a classic like this, it proved to be a lot
> more nuanced than its reception (or my memory of it).
> One of the lines which struck me was this: "the unit of scientific
> achievement is the solved problem." (p. 169)
> In the context of Vygotsky's writing on true concepts and the meaning he
> gives to "unit" this is very profound. Reading Kuhn from Vygotsky I find
> very productive.
>
> Andy
> --
> ------------