Re: [xmca] "Inner Form" of Word, Symmetry, Ivanov Bateson?

On 31 May 2011 02:35, Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu> wrote:

> The epigenetic inheritance we talked about here a year or so ago would be
> similar. Ok, now how does this relate to word meaning and brain asymmetry?

One relation is the abstraction of process of change with respect to the
correspondence between genotype with innerform and phenotype with meaning.
Other than in localised * settings, we do not use arbitrary words to express
meaning, there are constraints about acceptable usage and re-employment for
further meaning.  Similarly genetic codes will only provide discrete forms
of viability.  In another experiment (Waddington again, IIRC) flies with
genetic changes that (IIRC) disabled their ability to fly were able to
'discover' flight through further reproduction.  In other words, the
function of competent flight and its accompanying morphology of wings etc
(two pairs in this case, IIRC), was achieved through different genetic
starting points.  We could say that it is the other (stable) systems that
make up the fly in its environment that lead to the added-valueness of
competent flight.

The asymmetry quote from Bateson relates, I believe, to inter-subsystem
communication and their regulatory relation and participation in the larger
system, particularly in the sense that each comprises part of the
environment of the other.  The organic changes that are required in order to
relate to particular environments, e.g. lifting weights or speaking french,
require incremental changes that are, I believe, governed by the same
organic constraints that lead to these forms of symmetry and asymmetry.

Re left/right brain and other physical distinctions, let us note that these
are primarily architecturally stable rather than, necessarily, functionally
so.

Hope this helps,
Huw

* When my wife asks me to Niffenegger the window, I understand this to mean
to prop the window open with a particular book.