[xmca] jobs at Penn

Open Faculty and Post-Doc Positions

Assistant Professor, Tenure Track: Education, Culture & Society

The Graduate School of Education at the University of Pennsylvania invites applications for a tenure track position at the Assistant Professor level in the Education, Culture and Society program. We are looking for an anthropologist or a scholar in a related field who has conducted long-term ethnographic research on educational processes and settings, either inside or outside schools. The successful candidate will be broadly trained in social theory and will have made or have promise to make conceptual as well as empirical contributions to educational scholarship. We would prefer someone who conducts ethnographic research outside the U.S., but we will consider strong candidates who work domestically. The ideal candidate would have an interest in teaching masters and doctoral level courses in social theory, anthropology and education, and ethnographic research methods. We seek a highly promising early career scholar with a strong commitment to research, publishing, and graduate teaching and mentoring, with a track record or at least commitment to securing external support for his/her research. Successful candidates will have their Ph.D. in hand by June 2012. We will begin reviewing applications on October 3, 2011 but will continue to consider new applications until the position is filled.

Please submit a letter expressing your interest and general qualifications, curriculum vitae, names of three references, and reprints of publications and relevant manuscripts with your application. Please address all correspondence to Chair, Search Committee, ECS.

Apply for this Position<http://www.gse.upenn.edu/faculty_research/positions/apply-ECS>

________________________________
Tenure-Track Assistant/Associate Professor of Educational Linguistics

The Graduate School of Education at the University of Pennsylvania invites applications for a tenure track position (assistant or associate) in our division of Educational Linguistics. The candidate should have an earned doctorate in educational or applied linguistics, second language studies, or a related field. Ideal candidates will have expertise in language learning and teaching in one or more of the following settings: K-12 schools, higher education or community programs, in national or international contexts. Candidates should have an active program of research focused on second language studies, second language acquisition/socialization, or TESOL and English as a global language, with one or more of the following additional emphases: technology and new media, heritage language teaching and learning, critical language awareness, corpus analysis, sociocultural and cognitive perspectives on language and literacy, and multilingualism in educational policy and practice.

We are interested in a scholar whose abilities and interests relate to students at both doctoral and master's levels, and who can offer courses, as well as supervise, guide, and conduct research germane to the interests of professional language educators and educational researchers. We anticipate that the appointment would be made at the assistant/associate professor level, and will begin July 1, 2012. We will begin reviewing applications on October 3, 2011 but will continue to consider new applications until the position is filled.

Please submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, select publications and names of three references by October 3, 2011. Address all correspondence to Chair, Search Committee, TESOL.

Apply for this Position<http://www.gse.upenn.edu/faculty_research/positions/apply-TESOL>

________________________________
Assistant Professor, Tenure Track: Education Leadership Program

The Graduate School of Education at the University of Pennsylvania invites applications for a tenure-track position in Educational Leadership. The successful candidate will have (1) an earned doctorate in education or a related field, with a strong background in educational research on leadership; (2) training in a relevant disciplinary perspective, like sociology, history, psychology, organizational development, educational finance; (3) experience with and the disposition to work with practitioners on educational leadership issues. The successful candidate will teach classes about leadership and related topics and will conduct research on educational leadership. The successful candidate will also teach in one or more of the executive leadership programs, chair committees in the Mid-Career doctoral program, and contribute to cross-school programs within the Graduate School of Education. We seek a highly promising early career scholar with a strong commitment to research, publishing and graduate teaching and mentoring, with a commitment to securing external support for his or her research.

We will begin reviewing applications on October 3, 2011 and we will continue to consider new applications until the position is filled. Please submit a letter expressing your interest and general qualifications, curriculum vitae, names of three references and reprints of publications and relevant manuscripts with your application. Please address all correspondence to Chair, Search Committee, Leadership.

Apply for this Position<http://www.gse.upenn.edu/faculty_research/positions/apply-Leadership>

Assistant Professor, Tenure Track: Literacy Education

The University of Pennsylvania, Graduate School of Education, Reading/Writing/Literacy Program invites applications for an assistant professor, tenure-track position in literacy education, beginning September 2012. We are particularly interested in candidates whose research programs center on the interdisciplinary study of literacy and language, reading and writing in educational settings broadly construed, with a preferred emphasis on secondary English/literacy education, urban and multicultural school/classroom-based research and pedagogy, and a commitment to educational practice and issues of equity. The successful candidate will be expected to teach masters and doctoral courses and to participate in our urban school-university partnerships, nationally recognized research centers, and/or other post-secondary collaborative programs within and outside the University.

The program in Reading/Writing/Literacy prepares masters and doctoral students for careers in research, teaching, and leadership in schools, colleges, universities, and community-based adult and family literacy programs. The successful candidate will join a collaborative, interdisciplinary faculty committed to improving public and community-based education through exemplary applied research. Preferred candidates will have a strong interest in instructional practice, teaching experience in secondary, post-secondary and/or adult settings, and research interests which include some combination of the following: adolescent literacies, writing, literary theory, English Education, young adult literature, and digital media/technologies in 21st century literacy education. We seek a highly promising early career scholar with a strong commitment to research, publishing, and graduate teaching and mentoring, with a commitment to securing external support for his or her research.

We will begin reviewing applications on October 3, 2011. Please submit a letter expressing your interest and general qualifications, curriculum vitae, names of three references, and reprints of publications and relevant manuscripts with your application. Address all correspondence to Chair, Reading/Writing/Literacy Search Committee.

Apply for this Position<http://www.gse.upenn.edu/faculty_research/positions/apply-LE>