Re: [xmca] crisis at age 17

I am not up with the whole discussion on this thus far, but just a thought about developmental processes, apropos LSV's apparent lapse into mechanical determinism.

Given so much else in his work, it seems an odd lapse. So I'll offer not so much an interpretation of his words, as of his topic, that might make the idea that each next step is determined by the one before not sound so implausible.

In complex systems theories about development, the logic of determinism is transformed from its classical look. Rather than the Newtownian notion of rigid, mechanical, causal determinism of a later state by a prior state (total predictability), one has instead the notion that no later state is accessible unless the system has already attained the prior states along what, in retrospect, we think of as its developmental trajectory. That is, there are no shortcuts to later developmental "states" (i.e. complex networks of interdependent processes with multiple feedback loops, cross-catalysis, etc.). The only way you can reach a "higher" state is by having already got to the prior state, for it is only from that state that you can "develop" to the later ones. It is in the precursor state that you first become sensitive to the kinds of environmental input, and capable of making the kinds of responses to that input, which potentially lead on to the next state.

Each next state is in this sense determined by the previous state. Maybe one should say governed by, or directed by, or afforded by, or "developmentally determined" by?

Developmental trajectories are an odd case of semi-predictability. If you look across members of a species, in relatively similar environments, then you see much the same developmental sequences. The average trajectory of the species, the developmental trajectory envelope, within which there is always micro-variation and individuation, is predictable. Any given individual developing system is at every moment in time contingent and can fail, or even diverge. But most of them tend not to diverge very much, and the primary reason is that prior states are setting them up for a specific, narrow range of next-states, and too much divergence will run afoul of all the complex interlocking constraints and affordances both within the system and between it and its environment. Evolution has tried out all the blind alleys and left signposts for the few paths forward that will actually be viable.

The dependence of development on environmental input (or alternatively, the proper definition of the developing system as a developing system of organism-environment interactional processes) has left the door open for institutional, socio-cultural input as well (with some adjustments to the relevant timescales). "Crises" would seem to represent times when the organism-environment relationship, the person-institution relationship, has to change to keep on the viable path. The signposts in this case are carried in the "external genome", i.e. the cultural-artifactual surround, the input from conspecific others, and most importantly, the aspects of that input that are institutionalized in the sense of relatively slowly changing and predictably present for the developing organism/persona [ignoring for the moment the issue of how to best define the relevant unit of analysis].

Such social input (expectations, demands, resource shifts, etc.) creates (relationally) "crises", and "ages" or stages of the life-course, which form a sort of developmental envelope for other changes, such as in higher intellectual functions, emotional commitments, etc. Many societies ritualize key transitions (while perhaps leaving others non-salient) in rites de passage, but all societies are engaged in "managing" (if that is not too deterministic or agentive a term) life courses and development. Which certainly don't end with "adulthood" (if you're lucky), or with "scientific concepts".

It may even be the case that there are "super-crises" that occur for particular generational cohorts that happen to reach the time for a "normal" crisis (and for needed social support to get on to the next stage) just at the time when, institutionally, the wider social system is in crisis and no longer automatically providing that support. Or when the next older generation, that is normally the means for giving the support, finds itself already on a diverging cultural-historical trajectory that no longer positions it to provide the support. Such is the risk of living in interesting times.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Senior Research Scientist
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
University of California - San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, California 92093-0506

Professor (Adjunct status 2009-11)