From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of David Kellogg
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:22 AM
To: Culture ActivityeXtended Mind
Subject: Re: [xmca] Mentoring in research/writing Surprising Result So far

Jay:

Thanks for your kind comments, and above all thanks for the (very constructive) links. Yes, I know; being constructive takes a lot of time, and being reconstructive with language (as one must, sometimes!) takes even longer. But even for the busiest and most impatient reviewers, I still think there is a case for civility.

This morning I got a long awaited review from MCA. The reviewer introduces himself (for I think we may be absolutely certain that we are dealing with a bloke) as a regular contributor to xmca from way back (from the days of xlchc, actually).

There then follows a long justification of the recommendation "do not revise and do not resubmit". In conclusion, I get this:

"As the orchestrator of these comments, I should state that the tone of this review indicates the considerable annoyance that we as a group experienced regarding the author’s glib and flippant approach to serious scholarship. The tone of this review represents a response to the author’s own effort at positioning himself as wittily ingenious without doing the sort of serious scholarship that would lead readers to arrive at the same conclusion."

Now, how did the reviewer KNOW that I am wittily ingenious? Sorry, I mean, how did the reviewer know all about my glib and flippant approach to serious scholarship? I suppose that was the purpose of the long preamble: to let me know that this is not exactly a blind review.

Well, then--why do I only get ONE reviewer now? I used to get three, and usually at least one was reasonably blind. And civil.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education