Re: [xmca] Church Report Cites social and sexual turmoil of the 1960s and '70s to blame in Priest Scandals

Mike,
I'm not sure I can map out the wayward curves of my post yesterday morning.
The genesis was Andy's comment: (The 60s) created the conditions for people who
were abused to come out in public and denounce their tormentors.

That brought back to mind Weick's description of the process of making child abuse visible.

Now this thing about clergy abuse is one of a number of kinds of abuse.

Anyway, your question:
"Valerie-- Are your comments about articulation and loose coupling a response
to Larry account of Anna's ideas about NO GAPS?"
was wonderfully focussing.

> What I find so radical in Anna's writings is how she is attempting to
> connect ontology, epistemology, agency, subjectivity as a single unity
> {gestalt, whole] with NO GAPS.  Her writings in this area is helping be to
> understand the concept of "bi-directionality" within this unity.  The
> concrete & abstract, cases & types are a single process or unity with NO
> GAPS and it is only one's stance [perspective] which raises to awareness
> the concrete or abstract.  From her perspectives "examples" "events"  or
> "cases" if explored deeply lead to the abstract while the abstract is grounded in
> examples, events, and cases.

This absolutely random news story, Canary Islands, Spain lit off my identification with Jennifer Mills-Westley because we  are close to the same age.  She is near family in the Canary Islands, flees from an attacker in tears, runs for shelter. Is sent off with assurances only to meet her death.  Processing this story and taking the wretch "on-board" who perpetrated this crime means recognizing that a troubled person has been in society's corrective systems - both incarceration and psychiatric evaluation - ineffectively.

So, yes, NO GAPS bring us right here.  This is the concrete which can lead to the abstract.  To take on the shock and sorrow for her and her family, yet not getting pushed into a position where mindfulness is lost about the other one in the situation, nor those with complicity.  Clearly the guy was messed up and clearly the potential of his psychological state was known, and had been known.

So, anyway, Mike, yes -- articulation and loose-coupling are a kind of procedural response to Larry's account of Anne's ideas,
without the concision, the deft making of an organic unity. I thought I could get close to saying it, but later, upon rereading I thought one would be quite right to be muddled by my switches.  I can only thank you for intuitively forging the possible link to the discussion that I was tap-dancing around, sort of. ( But I had quite a ride!  I liked the part where Dreyfuss describes the enormity of the shark attack in antiseptic medical terminology while the authorities are hoping to minimize it, pretend it didn't happen. )
Valerie

On 平成23/05/21, at 12:19, mike cole wrote:

> [...]
>> of
>> 60, randomly attacked and decapitated on May 13.  Behind this horrendous
>> story is a messed up person, crunched around by the system.  One glance, by
>> whom?  Who will tell this story fairly.  We don't have Howard Zinn bringing
>> a lucid perspective to the situation, or not yet.  Because this situation
>> cannot be covered by one glance.  But at least, let's say that we can
>> detect
>> willful lack of accountability in the public handling of a person known be
>> dangerously unstable.
>>
>> So, back to child abuse, whether the history is embedded in a place
>> dominated by an all-powerful religious institution, or a religiously
>> mandated class or gender domination of women and children, and the
>> physically or mentally feeble or yet by an elite domination of the common
>> people by wealth and privilege, if we continue to record, articulate, and
>> archive, advances can still be registered and built upon.
>>
>> We've spoken of Aristotle, the empiricist, and Plato, the idealist,  here
>> recently.  And Larry (see [xmca] Finding common ground across sociocultural
>> frameworks, Sat 5/21/2011 5:27 AM) by inviting Anna Stetsenko to the table,
>> is arguing for a dynamic activation of the third framework (the 3 major
>> frameworks of the 20th century, Piaget, Dewey, and Vygotsky).
>>
>> I also want to invite Karl Weick to the table.  His "loose coupling" [Loose
>> coupling in Weick's sense is a term intended to capture the necessary
>> degree
>> of flex between an organization's internal abstraction of reality, its
>> theory of the world, on the one hand, and the concrete material actuality
>> within which it finally acts, on the other. A loose coupling is what makes
>> it possible for these ontologically incompatible entities to exist and act
>> on each other, without shattering (akin to Castoriadis's idea of
>> 'articulation'). Orton and Weick argue in favour of uses of the term which
>> consciously preserve the dialectic it captures between the subjective and
>> the objective, and against uses of the term which 'resolve' the dialectic
>> by
>> folding it into one side or the other. (cited from Wikipedia)]
>>
>> A rough edged conclusion to my ramble here, this forum is a place where we
>> can remember, record, and articulate what happened.  Somebody nails it,
>> nails it again, then we know it collectively and work towards opening the
>> field to improvement.  Sometimes it seems as though the situation of the
>> poor and disenfranchised is only getting worse.  Sometimes rhetoric is to
>> blame.  But I'll quote it again: There is only the fight to recover what
>> has
>> been lost and found and lost again and again: and now under conditions that
>> seem unpropitious. But perhaps neither gain nor loss. For us there is only
>> the trying.  The rest is not our business.  (T.S Eliot East Coker V)

Valerie A. Wilkinson, Ph.D.
Professor of Communication
Faculty of Information, Shizuoka University
3-5-1 Johoku, Hamamatsu, Japan 432-8011
http://www.inf.shizuoka.ac.jp/~vwilk/
vwilk@inf.shizuoka.ac.jp
phone 81 (53) 478-1529