Re: [xmca] Consciousness As Noticing and Abstraction

Larry, Mike:

Many thanks to Mike for his morphological analysis. I did notice some of that when I was going over it in Russian (that is, the fact that  осознание and  cознание have the same root, and that one seems to mean "about knowing" and the other seems to mean something like "with knowing".

When I noticed it, though, I wondered if it was just due to my not being a speaker of Russian. Perhaps, if I were a Russian like Vygotsky and his readers I would no more notice that than the fact that "conscious" comes from a Latin root that means, also "with knowing" and so of course "meta-consciousness" really means "about with knowing".

And a few more thanks to Larry. As usual, the answer is no--I haven't read the Stetsenko you refer to, I haven't read Aristotle since he was required reading at the University of Chicago and I don't know anything about your Danish architect except what I just gleaned from Wikipedia.

(I think we will have to amend Will Rogers' comment that "An ignoramus is somebody who doesn't know what I just learnt" to "An ignoramus is somebody who doesn't know wat I just found on Wikipedia").

But further thanks nevertheless Larry, because your posting reminds me of why I was mildly surprised by Steve snipping my comments on television, computer games, and social networking from the thread and because I think it will help us get this thread back to Seth Chaiklin, where I think it really belongs.

If Wikipedia and my thirty-five year old memories of Aristotle are correct, then what "phronesis" really means is almost the opposite of "about consciousness". It's really "for consciousness", a kind of awareness that is tied to changing social practices rather than learning about ideal forms.

So the unsnipped textological parts of my message to Steve about the original Russian text of Thinking and Speech and Tool and Symbol were not phronetic, but the comments equating internet addition with drug addiction where phronetic.

On p. 130 of Chaiklin's article in MCA 18: 2 he says that his meta-perspective on the two research traditions is a CONTRAST to both action research (no hyphen and no scare quotes) and cultural-historical research because "both traditions have a special focus on societal practices". At first I thought this was gobbledy-gook because actually all three perspectives focus on societal practices, and it is therefore not a point of contrast but rather a locus of comparison.

But I think what Chaiklin means is that in order to see how the TWO subtraditions are similar, we cannot compare them directly, like toy blocks; we have to see them as instantiations of something that encompasses both but which stands in contrast to either, like a common ancestor. As Vygotsky points out, difference is different from similarity; to notice similarity, we need abstraction, while concreteness works perfectly well in pointing up differences.

Chaiklin is very good at DE-MYSTIFYING, and even defrocking, the idea of activist social research. He makes it very clear that what Lewin had in mind when he spoke of "improvement" of societal practices was improving America's war effort. Of course, to Lewin, that meant saving his Jewish friends and family back home.

To me it means something much different: I remember as a child my father remarking casually that all of the work he and his colleagues did on the Manhattan Project was really only necessary for the Nagasaki plutonium bomb, because "we didn't need to test the one for Hiroshima; everybody knew it'd work." It sure did: a city-wide My Lai style massacre that was at the same time the world's largest and cruelest physics experiment on human subjects.

The problem for me is that my father's work on the Manhattan Project meets every single one of Seth Chaiklin's criteria for "improving social practices". Yes, the murder of hundreds of thousands of people, very many of them school children, was "a direct consideraton and important orienting focus in forming research questions." Yes, it was a part of gaining basic knowledge, and, no, it did not involve separating science from social action.

Societal values and interests were certainly considered (e.g. when Leo Szilard and Enrico Fermi suggested removing Kyoto from the list of cities that could be obliterated if the weather of Hiroshima was not propitious because of the historical interest of the city). Interventions were made in ongoing practices, and thre was no distinction between the "basic" research and its criminal applications. So I have to conclude that my father's work really was consistent with this older idea of societal research, and even that Lewin would have approved of this "action-research".

But Chaiklin then shows that the earlier tradition DOES contrast with that of Lewin, because Lewin DOES separate "objective standards of achievement" from social action, and he DOES consider the experimental distinct from and logically prior to field work (p. 133). That's why practitioners must come to researchers and not vice-versa (p. 137).

He even shows that Lewin had a very Piagetian approach to "pure facts" and "unbiased insight" (p. 134), even if his idea of a "causal-dynamic" approach to laws is far closer to that of Vygotsky than the "supra-causality" of Piaget (135).

How does this fit with Vygotsky? Contrary to what Chaiklin says on p. 144, I think the answer is rather poorly. Iin addition to their other disagreements, e.g. over the central role of language, there seem to me to be some pretty fundamental disagreements.

Vygotsky does NOT place experimental research before socially situated interventions; the relationship is much more reversible. In "Thinking and Speech", Vygotsky DOES put Chapter Five (the experimental one) before Chapter Six (the social action chapter), but this is really purely for historical reasons; he makes it clear that if anything he sees Chapter Five, the study of "artificial concepts" as subordinated to and only interpretable in the light of  Chapter Six, the study of scientific concepts, which are in turn interpretable in the light of the study of everyday concepts.

Vygotsky does NOT believe in "unbiased facts" and "pure insight"; he believes that facts are only interpretable in the light of a certain theory (Chapter Two of T&S). Chapter Six is not an "action-research" (that is, a hybrid of two completely different activities), it is more like action research as we know it today, an attempt to carry out a real, tangible, perceptible intervention in a known teaching situation and to observe the variations WITHIN the activity with sufficient rigor so that generalizations between this activity and related activities are possible, given a sufficiently powerful theory.

Finally, it seems to me that Vygotsky's interpretation of Lewin's expression "causal-dynamic" is very different. Vygotsky never really got a name for what he was doing, and I think he would be rather surprised to call it "cultural historical" or even "historico-cultural" (the order I prefer).

In Chapter One, though, he does say that his goal is a "causal dynamic" account of development. For Vygotsky, "causal" means determined in a materialistic, historical sense, while I think that for Lewin it means determined in a logical, Aristotelian sense. Vygotsky uses "dynamic" as a synonym for development, and I think that for Lewin it simply means change.

What is the difference? The former, I think, applies to the freeing of young minds from the grip of culturally induced and commercially cultivated addictions, whether it be to drugs or to computer games. But the bombing of Hiroshima is a perfectly good example of dynamic change.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education