Re: [xmca] Aristotle's PRACTICAL philosophy as providing historical perspective

Jay

I appreciate your reply as it gives some validation to my questions about
*perspectives* or *forms* of awareness such as Aristotle's 3 *modes* of
intelligence.  He suggests each form is a valid way of constructing
knowledge but makes a value statement that phronesis is the most
fundamental.  If we are skillful at constructing *theory* [episteme] or
PRODUCING *techne* but don't engage with *value-knowledge*, then Aristotle
suggests we will remain adrift.  Philosophical hermeneutics as a tradition
is exploring this mode of knowledge.

Anna Stetsenko seems to me to be clearly engaging in explicit phronetic
social research which takes a strong *collaborative* value STANCE within
cultural historical narratives.  Mike has mentioned she is representative of
a particular approach within CHAT which also includes Vladimer Zinchenko and
Dot Robbins, among others. [others think she is moving beyond CHAT]
Stetsenko, Zinchenko, and Robbins are including *motivation* and
*subjectivity* as concepts within cultural historical perspectives. I'm
wondering if their perspective of CHAT can link up with Aristotle view of
*episteme*,   *productive techne* [art & craft],  and *phronesis*  as
contrasting FORMS of  intelligence?  This linking may lead to a way to
bridge across various traditions that are engaging with issues of value and
power within evolving historical consciousness.

The statement that we have a "prejudice against prejudice" captures the
value of embracing uncertainty and inquiry as a *disposition* that can be
developed which embraces historical consciousness.

I have a particular question if "historical consciousness" requires a
narrative form and if narrative as a particular form of communication is
central to phronesis [as historical]

Larry