[xmca] Consciousness As Noticing and Abstraction

Mike, Steve:

I meant this bit, which is paragraph 32 of the Second Section of Chapter Six. Vygotsky has just complained that Freud and Piaget are using "unconscious" or "subconscious" to mean things that are genetically completely different: not yet conscious (that is, genetically primary), semi-conscious (partially conscious and therefore somewhere in the middle) and repressed from consciousness (that is, genetically late emerging).

To clear this up, he suggests junking ALL of the above and replacing them with a FOURTH meaning of "conscious", which is volitional, voluntary, deliberate noticing of one's own psychological activity, which he calls "awareness". The example he gives is knot-tying:

"Я завязываю узелок. Я делаю это сознательно. Я не могу, однако, рассказать, как именно я это сделал. Мое сознательное действие оказывается неосознанным, потому что мое внимание направлено на акт самого завязывания, но не на то, как я это делаю. Сознание всегда представляет какой-то кусок действительности. Предметом моего сознания является завязывание узелка, узелок и то, что с ним происходит, но не те действия, которые я произвожу при завязывании, не то, как я это делаю. Но предметом сознания может стать именно это — тогда это
 будет осознание. Осознанием является акт сознания, предметом которого является сама же деятельность сознания."

("I make a knot. I do it consciously. I cannot, however, tell you exactly how I did it. My conscious act is unconscious, because my attention is focused on the act of the tying, but not on how I do it. Consciousness is always some piece of reality. The object of my consciousness is tying the knot, a knot, and what was happening to it but not those actions that I make when tying, not how I do it. But the object of consciousness can be just that - then it will be awareness. Awareness is an act of consciousness, the subject of which is itself the very same activity of consciousness.")

I don't agree that there is any light between Luria and Vygotsky on this question, Steve. the part I quote from Tool and Symbol is from a manuscript co-authored by both of them. I also don't agree that what I wrote about computer addiction and role play is not relevant to this thread; I think that one of the great strengths of xmca is that it really does allow us to "rise to the concrete". But I do admit that adolescence is more or less beyond my expertise (I notice that whenever I start talking about my own childhood I have probably trespassed the extremely narrow boundaries of what I know about kids).

So here are three things that are more to the point.

a) My former grad, Yongho, who is doing his Ph.D. thesis is looking at some data where the kids can manipulate "avatars" made with their own photographs and get them to interact with each other. The third graders love it. The fourth graders are a little shy. And the fifth graders hate it.

b) At the same time, we've found that when we ask kids to role play, the third graders take it very seriously, the fourth graders ham it up, and the fifth graders tend to either parody or satirize.

c) Finally, I am looking at some data this morning where the teacher is trying to get the kids to distinguish between nuclear two-generation families and extended three-generation families by looking at their own family trees. She's having a lot of trouble  because the kids keep mixing up a "broad" family (many siblings) with a "deep" one (many generations) by talking about "large" families. So she introduces the term "nuclear".

One of the kids immediately identifies the term as referring to atomic weapons. The teacher is hopeful, since this would mean being able to talk about North Korea, about divided families, and maybe even about the "nucleus" of an atom and a family.

But it turns out that the child only knows the "nuclear option" in the game of Starcraft, which is an option offered to the human-like Terrans; the option of simply dropping a bomb on subhuman races and eradicating them. For the child, it's not a weapon at all; it's just a trump card in a game.

Now it seems to me that what ALL of these examples have in common is a growing ability to ABSTRACT a concept, including a self-concept, from its context--and from its consequences. THAT seems to me to be characteristic the end of childhood. I am hard put to describe this, as Leontiev and Karpov do, as the struggle to be taken seriously by adults.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education