Re: [xmca] last on concepts

That's an interesting proposal, David. How do you deal, though, with the way LSV writes of "the complex flow from the first, vaguest moment of the origins of a thought until its final completion in a verbal formulation" (#27), and the "motion from thought to word and vice versa, from the word to the thought. This relation is represented in light of psychological analysis as a developing process, which traverses a number of phases and stages"; "This flow of thought is accomplished as internal motion through a whole series of planes, the passage from thoughts in words to words in thought" (#29)?

This sounds to me like passage in time. When he insists that to put a thought into words is to transform it, reorganize it, and embody it - "In transforming itself into language, the thought is reorganized and modified; the idea is not expressed, but finalized in the word" (#32) - this sounds to me not merely a logical realization, but a temporal process - a "motion from thought to speech" (#41).

Indeed, he emphasizes that speech itself necessarily unfolds in time because thought has to mark the words of an utterance with emphasis in order to make them comprehensible: " it is obvious that the speech utterance cannot immediately emerge in its entirety" (#45); "Thought impresses logical stress down on the words of the phrase, marking in this way the psychological predicate, without which any phrase becomes incomprehensible. Speaking requires a passage from the internal plane to the external, while understanding assumes reverse motion, from the external plane of speech to the internal" (#52).

Whereas a Chomskian grammar has all the words of an utterance prepared simultaneously, and the fact that they are emitted in sequence is merely an artifact of performance (if we had screens instead of mouths one could imagine the whole grammatical structure being displayed at once), in LSV's account of the microgenesis of speaking from thinking the words need to unfold in time in order that pacing and emphasis can distinguish what he calls the "psychological structure" of the sentence from its "grammatical structure" (#35).

Martin