Re: [xmca] method/methodology

Hey, that's a real great video, Christine. Thanks for that!
In the last 40 mins of discussion after the talk, Yrjo is really challenged by an audience of (I think) sociologists and defends the foundational concepts of Activity Theory and directly confronts the sociological work of Argyris, who is well-known to the audience. Very very good material, and pretty high production values too, making it easy to watch. As good as any football match.

Andy

christine schweighart wrote:
There is some interesting discussion of Argyris here after a presentation ofYryo Engestrom at the LSE

http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/informationSystems/newsAndEvents/2004events/Engestrom.htm

 After my earlier message on 'recoverability' - which is drawn from Checkland's work,  this paper expands upon its role between method in action and knowledge transferability in wider contexts .

Systemic Practice and Action Research, Vol. 11, No. 1, 1998
Action Research: Its Nature and Validity
Peter Checkland1,2 and Sue Holwell1
Received October 30, 1997 Abstract The process of knowledge acquisition which has the strongest truth claim is the
research process of natural science, based on testing hypotheses to destruction. But
the application of this process to phenomena beyond those for which it was developed,
namely, the natural regularities of the physical universe, is problematical. For research
into social phenomena there is increasing interest in "action research" in various
forms. In this process the researcher enters a real-world situation and aims both to
improve it and to acquire knowledge. This paper reviews the nature and validity of
action research, arguing that its claim to validity requires a recoverable research
process based upon a prior declaration of the epistemology in terms of which findings
which count as knowledge will be expressed.

 I can't seem to post to the list!! can you put this up for me?

Christine.

Michael's point about

"There does seems to be a methodology, but not one that ties into proving or again even enhancing specific premises. One of the things I liked about Chaiklin's article was his willingness to bring Chris Argyris into the discussion, because of his idea of double loop learning - you don't just learn from research, but you learn about your research
while doing it."

ties back to your comment about methodology questioning theoretical premises. It also identifies an openess where contradictions can be explored to revise theory - in practice settings. Lewin 's work doesn't articulate such an approach with no methodology to recover (useful or unhelpful) concept formation in study of method in use. In interventions Engestrom's has this potential, as does Checkland's soft systems methodology - arising out of action-research intervention and further theoretical development upon the body of intervention work. In both approaches modelling has been
found to be useful.

There is an interesting discussion of Argyris following a presentation by Yryo Engestrom
at the LSE here:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/informationSystems/newsAndEvents/2004events/

Thanks Christine

----- Forwarded message from c.schweighart@bath.ac.uk -----