[xmca] Discussion of T&S

Hi Martin,

That's a good approach. I'd also be happy to. Perhaps others will join in.

Your overview nicely touches on many essential points in T&S.

On the "equation" question, you seem to be saying that you don't think Vygotsky was drawing an identity or equation between word meaning and the concept. I will ponder that a little. I think we should return to that line of questioning - what did Vygotsky mean by the terms word meaning, concept and generalization - and what did he mean by some of his statements that suggest these three terms are "synonymous"?

****************
I have another area of questions we might look at. First, a list, and then a couple three questions about it.

This list derives from an important aspect of T&S that is both very different from the "equation" question - but is also closely related to it, because it involves Vygotsky's core methodological approach, analysis into units. As has been discussed many times, LSV alternatively refers to word meaning as a unit, a unity, and in the CW Vol 1 translation (Minick), a "unit of analysis."

An interesting aside: Holbrook Mahn argues that the specific term "unit of analysis" does not appear in the original Russian. The term only appears twice in the Minick translation, as far as I can tell. This term is used to refer to word meaning on p 47 and the sound in linguistics on p 49.

Here are some examples I've found of units, unities and units of analysis pertaining to word meaning that Vygotsky discusses in T&S:

Word meaning is:

a unit of verbal thinking p 47, 244
a unit (of thinking and social interaction mediated by a sign system) p 48
a unit of thinking p 48

a unity of generalization and social interaction p 49
a unity of thinking and communication p 49
a unity of thinking and speech p 49, 244
a unity of word and thought p 244

a unit of analysis (of thinking and speech) p 47

*****************

Some other examples:

the word is:
a unit of sound and meaning p 46

the phoneme is:
the basic unit of speech p 49-50 (sound and meaning)

One question to ask: What is Vygotsky's distinction between the meanings of the terms "unit" and "unity"?

A second question: In these various descriptions of the unity-pairs that compose word meaning, was it Vygotsky's intention to suggest that they are essentially synonymous, that is, are they referring to essentially the same processes?

(Social interaction, communication, speech, word ... thought, generalization, thinking ...)

A third question: This one relates to the discussion of the "psychological aspects" of word meaning. In each of these unities, there appears to be both a material and ideal aspect, or more roughly, both an external and internal aspect, or put still another way, both a social and a psychological aspect. Was this Vygotsky's intention?

- Steve