Re: [xmca] activity (was concepts)

On 21 April 2011 20:23, <ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org> wrote:

> Huw:
>
> I think at this point we are talking past each other as mike likes to say.
>  It is very difficult to agree on vocabulary when coming from different
> perspectives.  I cannot view quality as being the sum of quantity.

Not the sum, the relation.

>  When 2
> hydrogen atoms combine with one oxygen atom they form water and are no
> longer hydrogen and oxygen.

Yes.  Temperature change, a quantitative measurement of the system.

> A knot in a rope has quality only if there
> is a meaning attached to the knot, otherwise it is only there to weaken
> the threads.

Quality as type.  There are, or can be, a specification of relating
quantities that define what a knot is and what a knot isn't (a twist of the
rope, or a loop, or a 'loose knot' may not count).  Here you seem to have an
extra qualification of 'Purposeful Knot' which entails more relations.
These needn't be made explicit, it's more economical to be unconscious of
them.

Huw