Re: [xmca] activity (was concepts)

On 20 April 2011 18:57, <ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org> wrote:

> Huw:
>
> Please explain to me how someone can "wield a concept"?  I am not even
> sure about the expression "grasp a concept".

The strangeness is somewhat deliberate and helps to avoid thinking of
concepts as some kind of bean in a bean jar.  Basically the systemic
dynamics and changes that take place with, say, learning to vault with a
pole are thought of as systemically equivalent to those in use of a
concept.  That is, it is about the relations we adopt and the changing
internal relation with respect to this mediation.  This is my understanding
of why certain social phenomena is able to appear later as mental phenomena.

Similarly, as we can shift our weight in the use of a pole, we can shift our
meanings in the use of a referent.  I can decide, and change my mind about
what a knotted handkerchief means, or in looking at a chessboard I can
rejuggle what the referents (e.g. squares) hold and what the consequences
are.  Also, as this is an action in the course of an activity it is a means
of achieving a goal, i.e. we are selecting and wielding a tool to achieve
particular ends.

My wiktionary app supports this usage:

-- hold and use ( a weapon or _tool_ )
-- have and be able to use ( _power_ or influence )

>  When there is a word that is
> generalized to the extent of; hmmm....let's pick moon; it is not a
> decisive tool of distinction but rather, as LSV points out, "word meaning
> is the elementary cell that cannot be further analyzed. . . it is the
> unity between thought and word"   We cannot say that our earth has THE
> moon.

 But in conversation we can state, "The moon is out and bright
> tonight."  I can provide a crowd with my moon but perhaps get arrested and
> a smiling cherub of a child could display their moon of a face.   IMHO
> moon's word meaning is the concept present in these thoughts and words.
> Not something weilded or grasped but perhaps active?

Well, in the simplest sense of active I'd say that in the concept use
example that I made up, the concept was selected.

A difference in your use of concept here appears to be that the concept is
not a tool for the overt action, it doesn't mediate the original action but
describes the mediation.  You appear to be using a figurative tool to
describe the use of an action (mooning in this example).

Huw