From: Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu>
Subject: Re: [xmca] concepts: Missing Voices
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wednesday, April 13, 2011, 6:40 AM

Hi David,

Perhaps I am being dense and it all comes back to Voloshinov. But this proposal still raises a couple of questions for me.

The distinction Voloshinov seems to me indeed close to the distinction LSV makes in chapter 7. But the terms are different: as I understand it, in Marxism and the Philosophy of Language Voloshinov distinguished between 'znachenie' (generally translated “meaning”) and 'tema' (translated as “theme”). LSV, of course, used 'meaning' and 'sense.' Would he have both disguised the identity of the person from whom he drew, and changed the terms?

And in chapter 5 we are even further away from Voloshinov's 'meaning' and 'theme,' for LSV has 'sense' and 'reference.' And why the quote from Husserl, or Frege (or Mill, as you point out), if he was developing a distinction like Voloshinov's?

Martin