Re: [xmca] MARKED activity within a Dynamic Systems Developmental Model

Philip,

I've found a couple of interesting reflections on the origins and history of 'scaffolding.' Roy Pea had a Journal of Learning Sciences piece in 2004. He was a doctoral student in Oxford at the time of the 1976 paper. (I visited Bruner's lab around 1975; the next time I see Roy I must chat with him about people we apparently both know!)

And Wood & Wood had an article in the Oxford Review of Education in 1996 where they suggest that the equivalence between 'scaffolding' and the ZPD was made by Rogoff and Wertsch in their 1984 book. This isn't available online, so I can't confirm their point.

The Woods acknowledge that what they introduced was the "metaphor" of scaffolding; its content has certainly be hollowed out and replaced many times over the years! It shows how an everyday concept can be a rich resource for both researcher and practitioners.

Martin