Re: [xmca] concepts

But,

Phillip,

wasn't Foucault's central concern in, say, The Order of Things, to explore the *basis* on which human knowledge, or knowledges, are constituted? In his terms, within a discursive formation there is a dispersion of concepts. An ordering of words is used to order what can be seen in the world. The point was not that there is no such thing as 'concept,' but that concepts are not neutral, natural maps of a preexisting and independent reality. For example, he wrote of the "form of positivity" of the sciences - "the concepts around which they are organized, the type of rationality to which they refer and by means of which they seek to constitute themselves as knowledge." To a great extent, his attention to the material practices in which both objects and abstractions are produced was drawn from Marx, so I don't think it is wildly incompatible with Vygotsky's project.

Martin