Re: [xmca] spontaneous concepts indeed

Thanks for your thoughts, Andy.  I hear a lot of James Gee's concept of
d/Discourse in your take on concepts as nearly but not simply discourse -
and that's intriguing.  Thanks also to Martin - I hope even more mca-ers
take up your suggestion to help answer my question!

-->As a complete and utter aside, what I like especially about Andy's
response is his use of *asterisks*: the following four terms are so marked:
*true concepts* - *institutions* - *adults* - and *Andy Blunden*!  I got a
real kick out of this, and it seems such a presentation of one's name is not
simply decorative.

Back to the topic now...I totally see the ambiguity in my last post, Andy.
I'll try to clarify:

I've been thinking about scientific concepts as particular means for higher
levels of thinking - not so much in that they are tied to
institutional/historical contexts - but rather that they have longer legs --
that they are more likely to 'travel' to new contexts, even imaginative
ones, as they are increasingly decontextualized from the setting(s) of their
initial encounter(s).  No doubt, formal, institutionally-situated learning
circumstances (can) provide deliberate, structured, and purposeful means for
concept analysis, in order to help learners:
extract generalizable features that make it amenable to application in
solving new problems in new contexts that share general properties. This
abstractability often serves as the instructional focus, with the concept
presented initially and illustrations of various applications provided
subsequently." (Peter Smagorinsky, book chapter preview, xmca: April 15).

Here's where I'm a bit hung up, though, especially within this particular
thread on home-/un-schooling.  I know it's a technical question, but what is
the consensus on the following circumstance: *when the decontextualization
of a concept occurs without the aid of formal, institutionalized instruction
*?

   - Is this an illustration of high-level, deliberate spontaneous concepts?
   self-motivated (or self-mentored) scientific concept development?
   - Or, is my search for distinctions counterproductive, or perhaps
   misguided in my fusion of decontextualization with scientific concepts?
   - Might we say that Vygotsky thought that *decontextualization *begins
   pseudoconceptually through spontaneous concepts but needs scientific
   concepts to reach its full use-value (i.e., that decontextualization is the
   *thing* that moves, as concepts develop)?  Concept development as the
   process of decontextualization?

Like my colleague Jody, I've been marinating in these ideas for less than a
year and can say with certainty that all responses are appreciated!

Thanks for reading,

Anthony