Re: [xmca] spontaneous concepts indeed

I realize some time's gone by, but the question Jody's (Joanne's) post from last week raises for me is this:

Can scientific concepts develop in non-structured learning settings?  I mean those other than schooling, team play, church, work, etc.  How about from being online a lot - just surfing, playing games, or reading blogs - or from spending one's time at the library or bookstore alone?

It seems to me that such scenarios blur the lines between spontaneous and scientific situations, so to speak.  That is, they are natural, everyday activities that lend themselves to repetition and reflective thinking and naming, where the structure of the activity itself (as opposed to a more experienced mentor) spurs on one's reflection, generalization, and "scientification" of knowledge.

The following statement from Jody's (post sent my thoughts in this direction:
> In home schooling described by Holt, certain scientific concepts could be learned by a child at home, driven by their loves and needs.

Could someone point me specifically towards a richer discussion of the development of scientific concepts during one's everyday "alone time"?

Thx,

Anthony

Sent from my iPhone