Re: [xmca] fetishism

Mmm, I haven't been called an idealist for 27 years, Steve, and I'm a bit reluctant to pursue this on list. But I will risk a brief explanation.

It is important that in reflecting on what I said (which was not a metaphor) you do not objectify yourself and the problem, as you do by using "we" and "our." And yes, I am using "consciousness" in the sense in which Marx used it: "My consciousness is my relation to my environment," and Marx also expressed this thought in the first person singular. But you can't put objective reality and consciousness in the scales and weigh them up against each other. You can express an opinion about something, but you shouldn't confuse your opinion about objective reality with objective reality itself.

Steve Gabosch wrote:
That is a helpful metaphor, Andy. You are suggesting that consciousness is our "only" window to objective reality.

If what you mean by "consciousness" (and "activity") is every aspect of a living biological organism, then this statement is inarguable - but uninformative with regard to the relationship of human social consciousness to objective reality. This is an example where classical activity theory is not very helpful, any more than chemistry would be.

If what you mean by this metaphor is that our only window into objective reality is our social consciousness, then you are taking a position that makes it difficult to explain relationships such as between biological perceptions and social conceptions, and in general, how humans act and develop in a material world.

Vygotsky's solution, as one can see in his critique of Piaget, was to view objective reality as a necessary and fundamental dimension in the development of historical and individual human consciousness.

Your metaphor, if your intention is to respond to Vygotsky's viewpoint, seems to seek to leave the role of objective reality as an **independent** dimension unaccounted for and relatively unimportant, reducing the sources of human consciousness to "only" forms of social consciousness, to only what humans "know" about what they do.

- Steve