Re: [xmca] activity (was concepts)

On 19 April 2011 17:23, Michael Glassman <MGlassman@ehe.osu.edu> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> So now you made me think (Oy) and remember Huw's original idea about
> talking about activity as experience.  But I think his later posts suggests
> he sees activity as part of a feedback mechanism.  But the definition of
> activity from Tolman's article suggests it is more about anticipation
> (perhaps a cousin of Peter's anticipation) or goal orientation - primarily
> forward looking, how to get happen what we want to happen.  I always liked
> the idea of planning as sort of a way to encapsulate what actually happen in
> (at least the first part) of the activity.  Anyway, that's how I see it all
> tying together.  Is feedback an important part of activity, or is what the
> author in the Tolman article saying is that what makes human special is that
> they can transcend feedback through their own goal planning activities
> (often to our own detriment I would guess).

The more general term regulation is probably more appropriate than
feedback.  Prediction is usually a case of feedforward, I believe, though
they both apply.  With respect to supervision, requisite variety
(particularly in the way Beer used it) is powerful and applies directly to
models, understanding etc.   I expect this may be rather low level, but if
someone asks me where my rigour is, this is where I point them.

Hope that helps,
Huw