From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of White, Phillip
Sent: Tue 4/19/2011 11:14 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: RE: [xmca] activity (was concepts)

Michael, your wrote:

"So by closed system I guess I mean that all the players are already there in the system, and while they change based on the ways they interact with each other and there is a dynamism to the interaction, it does not promote or welcome, or particularly know what to do with links out to unexpected information sources."

i think that Bateson would assert that all living systems are open systems - and that no human system could be a closed system -   in fact, the only closed system i can think of would be one that's human-made - such as an electrical system, etc.

phillip

Phillip White, PhD
University of Colorado Denver
School of Education