[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [xmca] A Modest Proposal for Intergenerational Assistance
- To: email@example.com, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [xmca] A Modest Proposal for Intergenerational Assistance
- From: Lois Holzman <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:36:11 -0400
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:sender:from:mime-version:content-type:subject :date:in-reply-to:to:references:message-id:x-mailer; bh=apGcF4M98amdT1g21orV93rYpJnbSIrxn9FjHQLXWT4=; b=V1kWs856C/sCNtvSXWrBoXkIIKnVkUBEJKHHhGzK/MSPIGOj7RIRHC6PYhPOiVxHOz LY6iQcGn9EhCm4iS/52UM/yIn2PqputESneJHRgKoiIAp8Oh6Xz+sM/iZjmgVLyzVWv+ kPbsknfn4VzcepfUw9p/oTCpQzzGFkcs7w4qY=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=sender:from:mime-version:content-type:subject:date:in-reply-to:to :references:message-id:x-mailer; b=R/31zYerzkKYIunHoVTq1m3tVxDd50/4MvQt0To09yvFe88UEXs4qhqQz3aZeYMQxn iMFA8/x/JOEON2Vi4c6ue/+qv6VBqQH3FUDCG0npPFyq8Og1XBJHxx1I1iO6sgAptTor QiYkkCki1GvTVF1EWnVGggpBdusx79nZ7xMEE=
- In-reply-to: <BANLkTi=-3L0a60OYUi=Zz2ctbdFrYndqqQ@mail.gmail.com>
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <BANLkTi=-3L0a60OYUi=Zz2ctbdFrYndqqQ@mail.gmail.com>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
a needed and welcome activity!
Don't forget to check out the latest at http://loisholzman.org
Lois Holzman, Ph.D.
Director, East Side Institute for Group and Short Term Psychotherapy
920 Broadway, 14th floor
New York NY 10010
Chair, Global Outreach for UX (www.allstars.org/ux)
tel. 212.941.8906 ext. 324
On Apr 18, 2011, at 11:34 AM, mike cole wrote:
> Dear XMCA participants.
> I have consulted with several senior colleagues who are game for the
> (In what follows I am speaking as a member of the ill-defined “older
> generation” at XMCA)
> I have been thinking over the problem of what help the more senior members
> of XMCA, those with secure jobs, can provide for our students and junior
> colleagues who are caught in this very difficult historical moment. Whatever
> general advice that we might give, the fact is that we could not deal any
> better with current circumstances if we were just starting out now.
> The one thing we have a lot of experience doing is helping young scholars
> develop their ideas in writing so that they can get their work published. We
> can also offer practical advice about methods, relevant literature, etc. In
> short, we can do the kind of mentoring that many of us do daily, locally.
> But can’t we also do it xmca-wide?
> I propose that we create a list serve, associated with XMCA, where a group
> of elders (those with secure jobs) and a group of those still struggling
> toward secure work in academia can pair up for purposes of advice on a piece
> of junior writing, starting with thesis proposals. Participants might wish
> to organize sub-networks -- many refinements are possible.
> We do not have all the mechanisms worked out for such an inter-generational,
> academic support system. But we have built a placeholder in the
> to-be-released new LCHC home page for an enabling platform. The roll out of
> the new page is a few weeks away, but that need not stop us from finding out
> who is interested, what generational group they prefer to be identified
> with, and perhaps two lines about areas of interest/"expertise.". We can
> collate that info into a data base and use it to create a handy dandy new
> cultural practice.
> If you are interested, please respond to Tamara Powell,
> She will do the collating and report back about who wants to be involved and
> how. Then we will take the next practical steps for people to link up.
> I am traveling and only have spotty email contact but will stay abreast of
> this endeavor.
> xmca mailing list
xmca mailing list