RE: [xmca] concepts

Perhaps this phrasing provides sufficient resolution:
Concepts are fundamentally cultural as part of the frameworks for thinking that people appropriate through their social experiences, suggesting that bringing them to bear in settings guided by different motives and practices requires modification of their principles and thus of the concept.

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:56 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] concepts

Thanks for that Peter. As an aside I can confirm your assertion about
"trajectories", one of the most illustrious Australian writers (now
resident in NYC of course) Peter Carey, earnt his living for many years
as a copywriter with my father, and a good proportion of the communist
inteligentsia of the 30s and 40s were to be found in advertising in the
60s, too. :)

Your article is really about another topic, so we can't demand too much
on concepts. Let me draw your attention, though, to one minor point in
the midst of what is generally fine. You say:

    "Concepts are fundamentally cultural as part of the frameworks for
    thinking that people appropriate through their social experiences,
    suggesting that bringing them to bear when crossing cultural borders
    requires modification of their principles and thus of the concept."

This carries the implication of "cultures" with borders and unitary
"frameworks." Knowing you, Peter, I am sure this was not your intention.
You use "frameworks" in plural, so perhaps you had this point in mind.
But I think if we are not going to ascribe this unitary, bounded
framework to a society, even in the plural, then we are challenged to
dig a bit deeper into what creates, constrains and sustains concepts.

Interesting article though, and good for you for standing up for the
pursuit of happiness (when properly understood)

Andy