RE: [xmca] concepts

Jay:

I like your use of "considerable historical baggage of ideologies". This is
the same baggage that we contend with in teaching curriculum and
instruction. What of best practice research is designed on the tacit
implications of this so-called baggage? Thankfully, a marked shift in
thinking about the social and cultural factors of learning has made its way
into the discourse.

The full-embodiment of all these shifts--in thinking of concepts, in
conceptualization of learning, in the conceptualization of theory and
science, and in learning as a science--is still, I agree, subject to the
weight of the respective baggage.

I appreciate your statement that all concepts are cultural constructions.
Lakoff and Johnson (1999) suggest an argument against those who say, what
about the universals--those things that are true for all people across all
cultures--by reminding us that if our knowledge and ability to know is
embodied, and we have similar bodies, then there will be a certain amount of
our individual experience that resounds with experience of others. Overall,
I think some researchers and scientists, just like all people, are afraid to
let one reality go because we all fear chaos (especially teachers and
parents who have been in a classroom that is "out of control").
Stability=comfort. I am not so much bothered by the idea that things change
and so do ideas because I am comforted by the fact that even so, many things
stay the same! Expecting that things will change, expecting that the
students in my classes will grow and learn is okay by me.

I am working on several ideas right now in relation to my project on the
reflective writing of second and fourth graders: imagery/mental
representation, words and meaning, and larger meaningful constructions like
declarative statements of concepts/propositions. In thinking about what it
is that these student have constructed in writing I am considering many of
these questions: What is recalled from sensorimotor memory, Is it just
words? Is it meaningful? Is it demonstrations of concepts? And knowing what
the objectives of the lessons were in the activities, were any of the
concepts reported? How does a child's knowledge of conventional words and
forms of writing assist or diminish what they intend to communicate? How
much is their writing an artifact of the influence of their instruction
about writing? What is it that they mean, if it is not one of my categories
or if it is not conventional? If children of this age are not really able to
think in concepts, what is it that they are writing exactly about what they
are learning? There are so many questions!

Overall, this discussion has been a wonderful working diversion thanks to
the contribution of all of the contributors on XMCA.