Re: [xmca] Inside Job

Jay-- The Monday night Daily Show last night (monday) has material that I
think
might both attract great student interest and perhaps deeper understanding.
He
does a riff on GE which, while only part of the story, shows how they not
only do not
pay taxes in the US, they get tax money FROM the US. Obama two years ago
denounced their practices. Two weeks ago he made the head of GE the head of
his
special committee on job creation.

You could start by asking student to figure out what really is going on
here. And point them at your DVD, and then.,..... perhaps engage them in
some local project that, while discussed as social service at least brings
the students in contact with people in settings where the wear and tear of
their daily lives is clear.

Then ask them, in some form, to propose some ways to address the issue.

Note. When they subpoena my e-mail, what will be I accused of? Using public
money to poison the minds of the young perhaps.

Tougher  lots of places than American Academia, despite the pervasive puzzle
for graduate students that Walter is asking us to address. But tough and
promising to get a lot tougher.

mike