[xmca] The "Tool" Revolution and the Sign "Revolution"

Larry:

In his tennis example, Farber seems to be getting, somewhat ineptly, at the distinction that Leontiev makes. As we all know, Leontiev distinguishes between operations and actions. Operations are where the immediate responses to operational conditions are conscious (that is, noticed) and the objectives are not conscious (that is, not present to mind, although we can call them up when we need them).  Actions are the other way around: the immediate responses to operating conditions are not conscious (that is, unnoticed) but the object of the action is conscious (that is, present to mind).

I never liked this distinction very much. It seems to me to describe skills but not knowledge, tasks but not play. Above all, it seems to me to be almost irrelevant to the main occupation of my day to day life, which is conversation. In conversation, we are constantly switching attention from what is being said to how it is being said, the operational condition AND the objective are both present to mind when we answer questions and pose them.

And it seems non-accidental, to me, that the learning theory that emerges from Leontiev's distinction is a very boring one: from the bottom up, operations become automatized so that attention is shifted to objectives. Or, from the top down, what used to be an activity broken up into actions by different people is internalized as an action broken up into different operations. This applies to changing gears while driving, shooting a gun, playing tennis, almost everything--except everything which is most important to me, namely verbal activity.

Martin pointed out that the Piaget that Vygotsky is attacking in Chapter Two is really the Vygotsky that so many (including, I think, Leontiev) have constructed. This Vygotsky, whose real name is Piaget, sees socialization and not individuation as the object of development. And this Vygotsky, a.k.a. Piaget, has very little room for free will.

It seems to me that most of what I do is directed towards what Farber would call disordering the will, that is, allowing people to exercise conscious choice over things that are normally not chosen and which are almost in principle not subject to volition at all (e.g. what language they use, what speech genre to employ in a given classroom situation, how to make stereotypical language alive again).

I certainly don't understand how technology can do this. I can see that a great deal of technology is currently employed in three ways that I would consider highly non-developmental, but none have to do with applying object-aware volition to what are normally conditionally-aware operations. They are all really just the opposite.

First of all, it seems to me that technology is used to replace signs that are symbolic (that is, which are linguistically mediated) with signs that are either icons or indexes (that is, which have some lower-level, necessary relationship with their object). So for example text is often replaced by graphics. This means, of course, replacing a higher level psychological function with a lower level psychological function in the receiver.

Secondly, it seems to me that technology is used to replace cognition with an almost entirely affective response, replacing news with commentary, narrative with emoting, and verbal interaction with physical action (porn, violent movies, tennis, golf, and so on). In our intellectual discourse, enthusiams for "embodiment" is used as a cover for de-intellectualization (as Eagleton points out, when people enthuse over "embodiments", they tend to be slavering about copulating bodies and not enslaved and exploited ones). Once again, I think that a higher level psychological function is replaced by a lower level one.

The thid way is superficially, exactly the opposite of the first two: it is the replacement of actual events with informational simulacra of events, e.g. face-to-face meetings with virtual interactions, movie theatres with streamed video, and commodities with information (real books with e-books, CDs with MP3s, paintings with photographs). Although this looks like the increasing idealization and symbolification of life, I think it means LESS of what language use really confers on the individual, which is the objective distance conferred by physical objects, the conscious awareness made possible by language use in real time, and as a consequence genuinely informed free choice.

The "industrial" revolution doubled and tripled productivity. The information "revolution" has actually replaced a good deal of productive labor with unproductive labor. The nineteenth century replaced an overwhelmingly rural society with an overwhelming urban one, and transformed everything about life, from life expectancy to population density to housing. The twenty-first century has given us mortgage-based financial instruments. Oh, and iPads with Angry Birds.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education