Re: [xmca] Vygotsky's claims

Yes, I believe you can make the completions you make in LSV's name, Natalia.
But not everyone
agrees.

As a continuation of this thread, I am attaching a paper that Vladimir
P.Zinchenko wrote in the collection of essays on non-classical psychology
edited by Dot Robbins and Anna Stetsenko. I believe that the essay is
interesting for many reasons. The lead in from art harks back to the essays
by David and Peter. Locally we are discussing a local version of "functional
organs" that Ivan Rosero has dubbed "living artifacts." That is what
initially caught my eye. But today i kept reading and bingo, there was
Vygotsky and Leontiev,
Kharkov, 1935 and a major author is VPZ's father.

I think that David will find evidence that for his notion that Leontiev was
thumbing his nose at Vygotsky by writing that language is not the demiurge
of thought. The elder Zinchenko was arguing rough, as his son
points out.

It was VPZ who gave me the materials from Kharkov in Ukrainian so that they
could be translated into
English and thereby, perhaps, remembered. The essays were, at the time, and
may remain so now, considered "bibliographic rarities" in Moscow psychology
circles. It was illegal to take them abroad. I have no idea how they got
here.

One thing that struck me was a very strong resemblence between what VPZ
quotes his father as writing in 1935 and Alex Kozulin's citation from
Leontiev at the same time concerning psychological operations and reality.
Odd.

mike