[xmca] Ways With Words

David (Kirshner) is of course quite correct to point out that narrative is not a necessary or sufficient element in his “enculturation” educational genre. But it does seem to me that the “enculturation” educational genre is distinguished by greater discursivity; it’s a much talkier model, and I think it is for this reason we often find it in traditional, more oral cultures. Unfortunately (I think) we also find it in foreign language classrooms, where I think it is fundamentally inappropriate.

First of all, it seems to me that enculturation almost necessarily involves some kind of legitimate peripheral participation, non-essential but nevertheless participatory roles in an activity that can in theory be taken by children and outsiders. This clearly suggests a very hierarchical set of roles, which, since they are not set by skills or by knowledge must be set by some other criterion (e.g. being a so-called “native speaker”)

Secondly, it seems to me that enculturation models place a premium on doing fairly simple, general, everyday things with great adroitness, creativity, and confidence. An obvious example of this would be cooking, something which everybody has to do but which can be done either with routinism, or with verve and inspiration, or with the consummate mastery that is born of endless routines illuminated by flashes of inspiration.

Thirdly (and as David says, this is where narrative “kicks in”) enculturation means learning what Shirley Brice Heath calls “ways with words”. If it were simply a matter of “Watch this” “Now you try it”, then there would be no difference between the discursive model and the skills model. Even if we add “Now, what was the difference?” we only get a skills model plus explicit knowledge, and that is not what the enculturation model is really about.

That’s really all I have to say here. The rest of this post is just two anecdotes to illustrate. and if I had any sense I would just shut up at this point. I am sure that many readers will stop reading at this point, if not long before. But of course in the enculturation model, ways with words are very important, and sometimes anecdotes and illustrations are more important than the actual skills and concepts imparted.

The other day I was sitting here at this very table cracking newly imported American pecans for my mother-in-law, who has had a stroke and can barely speak. She was watching me intently, having never seen either pecans or the jar-opening device I was using to crack them, and began to make speaking sounds. I leaned over to listen and suddenly realized she was giving very precise instructions about how to use the device so that the meat would not be shattered.

Her body no longer obeys her brain, and she has reacquired the skills that an infant must have in getting others to obey it instead. But in normal times this simply involves laughing or crying, not “ways with words”. The unusual thing about this was the objectivity, the precision, and efficiency of her instructions: as soon as I held the jar-opening device the way she told me to, my speed doubled, my efficiency tripled, and not a single nut-meat was broken.

I realized that cracking peanuts and pumpkin seeds with immense precision is something she has spent a large stretch of her non-working life doing (she retired from the textile mill where she worked at forty years of age) and she obviously had very developed views, transferable to entirely new products and even completely new tools, about how it should be done. In normal times (when we were both twenty years younger) she would have simply shoved me out of the way and done it herself. But in this situation, absolutely no other way of transferring her knowledge than a slurred mixture of Shaanxi and Henan dialects, to which I am normally fairly impervious.

This circumstance is probably not unique; over thousands of years of human history there were probably many situations where knowledge had to be transferred in this highly imperfect way from disabled elders to not yet able juniors. And so ways with words turn out to be as important as skilled performances.

But unskilled performances also have to be included, first of all, to provide the contrast that we have in skills models (“Watch this” “Now you try it”) and the explicit knowledge we have in conceptual models (“See the difference”), secondly to allow the elders to show the mastery on which their authority must ultimately be based (we cannot always live off of the capital of social position), and thirdly to allow some means by which outsiders can teach insiders, as well as insiders teach outsiders, making the enculturation model not entirely a closed system and allowing the whole to develop new forms of knowing.

Yesterday my brother-in-law and I went to a wedding in a nearby village where he is doing some business with the local village head, whose friend had a son getting married. Village weddings in China are what I would call loosely scripted: certain things must be done, but they are not done to schedule; they happen when all the principals are accounted for and there is enough of an audience to make it worthwhile. In order to make sure that the audience shows up and stays, a huge tub of “saozi mian” (noodles) is kept on the boil all day, and anyone can eat as much as they like, whether they are related to the bride and groom or not.

There are lots of roles that call for little skill, but there are also roles which can be fulfilled very skillfully. For example, when we first arrived at the wedding, they were carrying the bride’s gifts to her new inlaws into a room where the inlaws sat before portraits of their ancestors to receive them.

My brother-in-law and I, along with some neighborhood children, took some of them in (I took a large, purple plastic thermos bottle) and in return the male adults were given cigarettes and the children were given milk sweets.

While my brother-in-law was smoking his cigarette (I stuck mind behind my ear because I don’t smoke and I didn’t want another pressed upon me), the bride herself arrived. The groom’s sister barred and locked the door, and then the spy-hole was prized out so that negotiations could begin.

The bride had to knock, of course. The groom’s sister, as per tradition, eyeballed the spy hole (she had to stand on tippy-toe) and then, in standard Chinese, told the bride’s family that the door was barred, and if the bride’s family really wanted to cross the threshold, they had to give a “hongbao” (a red envelope, with money).

An envelope was produced, but when it the groom’s sister opened it she found it only had a light greenish one yuan note in it (I think that’s about twelve cents at current exchange rates). She complained that the bride’s family was “xiaochi” (stingy) and began to open the door.

My brother-in-law finished his cigarette and sprang to his feet. He barred the door with is wiry frame and let out a torrent of choice insults in the local dialect. Egged on by hilarious laughter (from both sides of the door), he finished with a rhetorical flourish based on slightly different emphases—he wants a BIG red envelope, and big RED one (one hundred yuan notes are red).

Another envelope was produced (with a blue five yuan note) and my brother in law relented. The bride came in and bowed to the ancestors, and they went off to enjoy their new marital status, their sumptuous (by peasant standards) new lodgings and the spiffy new plastic purple thermos I had carried up the stairs.

As we left, we noticed that another wedding being held nearby. On closer inspection, this turned out to be wedding we had really been invited to—we had peripherally participated in the wrong wedding, and nobody cared or even noticed. And so the concept of party crashers was introduced to a remote village in Northwest China.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education