[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [xmca] What is "structural change in the psyche"?
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [xmca] What is "structural change in the psyche"?
- From: Tony Whitson <twhitson@UDel.Edu>
- Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 19:45:28 -0500 (EST)
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <4D38D2A8.email@example.com>
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <20110120200010.E169F10AAAB@weber.ucsd.edu> <20110120155357.AIU76639@mstore00.uchicago.edu> <Pine.SOL.4.60L.firstname.lastname@example.org> <4D38D2A8.email@example.com>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, Andy Blunden wrote:
Like with other things to
which we impute objective existence, a personality is, could I say, "really
reified"? :) That is, not only do we assume that another person, for example,
"Mike Cole" exists and has a personality of his own, but by our actions in
relation to Mike we continue to construct and reconstruct him. Let alone any
other person in the world less self-possessed than Mike!!! :)
That's why I would call this "actualism" rather than "realism," from
activity rather than from things ( = rei )
Latin for "making into a thing") is not just a mental activity, of course,
but a social and practical activity, by means of which we create a stable
world in which we can live.
On reification for the sake of "science," I recommend Sfard's new book on
"commognition" (which Jay Lemke has reviewed in MCA).
xmca mailing list