Re: [xmca] further thoughts on concept of activity

Hi Jay and Andy

Andy, I misunderstood your position on the term "games" but Jay's summary of
games as REGULATIVE precepts, principles, and rules as expressed in language
 is how I was trying to understand the term "games".  The other concept
David introduced when considering "games" is the place of imagination and
the relation between rules and imagination. I am not going to attempt a
systematic explanation of these relations or how the relations
systematically transform as games develop. [This is maybe what Andy was
referring to in his question about "central" lines of development?]  However
I want to mention two incidents from my work which involve grade 1 boys and
games.
One boy is having a very difficult time following civic rules in the
classroom culture.  However, he mentioned that he plays "imaginary pokemon"
with 2 of his classmates.  I was looking for an opportunity to observe this
boy interacting with his peers, so the 3 boys and I went outside so they
could show me this imaginary game.  Normally pokemon is a card game and I
was curious about imaginary pokemon without cards.

The 3 students proceeded to run around in a very free form activity saying
such things as "Look, Piksaleu is on top of your head", pointing at the
other boys head. The other boy would scream, knocking the pretend character
off his head and saying "Look, now its crawling up on you, pointing at one
of the other boys.  This shape-shifting game proceeded for over ten minutes
of laughs, screams, silliness, active agentic engagement with continuous
dialogical activity and response.  I saw a profound shift in the "feeling
towards" of all 3 boys in this imaginary, shifting "game" without FORMAL
rules.  The boy who was struggling with civic rules in the classroom was
transformed in his relationship to the 2 other boys and since that day the 3
boys ask "When can we play imaginary pokemon again?"

A second incident is a boy playing a form of dodge ball which has clear
rules. He has excellent social skills playing within the rules of the game
UNTIL he is tagged and asked to go out as part of the rules.  At this moment
he collapses in tears and argues he wasn't touched and refuses to follow the
rules. This is a different type of game from imaginary pokemon. In dodge
ball the rules and positions are most salient and imagination is less
pronounced.

These 2 examples point to different relations between imagination and rules
in different games. Shape-shifting is more pronounced in the imaginary game
of pokemon whereas the dodge ball game has more stable rule dominated
activity. It is in this sense of different forms of games that I was trying
to understand David's comments on language games as shape-shifting.

Andy, your comment that terms and concepts are elastic can be applied to the
concept "games".  What I want to add is that in both of the games I
mentioned above the person was participating in cultural activity with clear
objects. However, besides the object towards which the activity was
directed we can also observe dialogical interplay that  includes embodied
mind as a "feeling towards" the others in intentionally directeded
activity. In the examples mentioned above I was also looking for and
observing instances of "agentic capacity" when I was observing who was
taking the lead, and who was responding.  I also observed how fluid and
shape-shifting was the agentic capacity displayed in the imaginary pokemon
game.  This is an example of  neo-Meadian social acts [activity] within
different types of games as transformative. This notion of social acts
[object oriented and dialogical] can extend to notions of language games.  I
also suspect that in some adult interplay the shape-shifting may be as rapid
as fluid as the imaginary game of pokemon whereas in other forms of
interplay the positions rigidly follow rules and regulations that are
implicit and tacit.

Zopeds may also be of many different types with different objects and forms
of dialogue.  The relations between imagination and rules in the various
types of zopeds are always dialogical but in particular ways that engender
different forms of agentic capacity. I wonder if the opportunity for fluid
interchange of positions is more pronounced when there is an opportunity for
shared imagination and agentic capacity becomes more developed as a result
of increased opportunities for interchange of positions?  If there is some
validity to this perspective, then getting students to fit in to already
established rule based civic structures [where imagination is not a
priority] may engender diminished agentic capacity.  In this perspective
imagination includes a "feeling towards others" objective.

Larry