Re: [xmca] Concept of Activity

Larry, I will just make a series of points which may clarify something.

I know that "embodied" notions of enactment is referring to some current of thought which you are asking me to comment on, but I really don't know what an act which is not embodied would be. Perhaps you could clarify that for me?

I think the "activity theory notions of wants and needs" is in need of further thought. I don't think it is sufficient to (kind of) simply say that "we all do things for a reason."

I don't know what alternative notions of substance or essence you have in mind. I know that most people use the word "substance" in the naive realist sense of "stuff" and "essence" in the sense which is the object of feminist criticism.You would have to spell out what you have in mind. I use these words in quite a different sense.

I don't understand what you mean by counterposing "just cultural language game" to "biological components of wants."

And I don't understand the distinction you are imputing to me between "object-oriented activity" that is perceptual and "activity."

Sorry, Larry. To get through my thick head you need to be very specific.

Andy

Larry Purss wrote:
Andy, what is your thoughts on "embodied" notions of enactment.  This
tradition talks about DIRECT "on-line" pre-conceptual pre-linquistic
expressions of INTENTIONALITY without understanding [as interpretive].
Where do the concepts of "embodied mind" as PERCEPTUALLY based sensory-motor
directedness, fit  within activity theory notions of wants and needs?  This
seems to be a question which points to alternative notions of substance or
essence?  Is it just a cultural language game or is there a biological
component of  wants involved.  Or is it another special case of
object-oriented activity that is perceptual but not activity as you define
it?
I hope this question is clear ?

Larry

*Andy Blunden*