[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [xmca] zpd zbr zedpd and zoped
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [xmca] zpd zbr zedpd and zoped
- From: Andy Blunden <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 20:12:41 +1100
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <998EDDB4-B006-4478-83C4-DC47109A2BA0@me.com>
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <AANLkTi=mUxPDCUkeUir65LU+1eOsvekndBgsNsp2ozRB@mail.gmail.com> <998EDDB4-B006-4478-83C4-DC47109A2BA0@me.com>
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
- User-agent: Thunderbird 18.104.22.168 (Windows/20090812)
I'll respond to your question about the meaning of "ur," Steve.
"Ur-" is a prefix that is used in German, actually. It has been around
since the year dot in German, but it has become a bit of a fad recently
for English speakers.
Ur- is a prefix which means original or prototypical. I mostlly know it
from Goethe's idea of /Urphaenomen/ which is the original of Vygotsky's
"unit of analysis", should I say, the Urunit? This is because of
Goethe/Hegel/Marx/Vygotsky's idea that in order to understand some
complex process as a whole (i.e. a /Gestalt/) then you have to begin
with the simplest unit of it, it's germ or cell. So the reference is to
an (artefact-mediated) action as the ur- of psychology and cultivated
Does that help, Steve?
Steve Gabosch wrote:
... "Generalizing Dual Stimulation.
* The ur characteristic of higher psychologically (culturally
mediated) human action is that it operates indirectly, through the
* DS method is the ur model of human action incorporates the
environment as tools for action. But it must be generalized into
group as well as individual circumstances."
Mike urges the non-Russians at the conference to ask their fellow
Russian attendees what 'ur' means.
So - to our fellow Russian speakers - what does 'ur' mean in Mike's
xmca mailing list