Re: [xmca] Thoughts on Digital Technologies and Poverty

Happy New Year everyone and a time for reflection and reflexive chat.

I have a holiday story that has also left me very reflective about how deep
seated are the difficulties of responding to "poverty issues"

In Vancouver, there is a very progressive society [the Lookout society] who
are responding to the poverty issues on the downtown eastside.  After many
years of trying "santa's helpers" models of offering "relief" and "handouts"
to mitigate the "fruits" of poverty this organization recognized the central
need for person's to have a secure "dwelling" or "physical space" to create
a sense of safety and stability.  The lookout society has done a wonderful
job leveraging "city" and "provincial" [not national] money to repair over a
dozen derelict flop houses and create bachelor suites where "homeless"
persons are able to access a secure dwelling.  They also provide "health and
community services" to assist [scaffolld] the residents with their "basic"
needs.

I want to emphasize how I support and appreciate the intentions and actions
of the lookout society and their heroic and visionary response to an
impossible situation of persons who are "homeless".

The next part of my story captures the depth of the difficulties that must
be overcome that go beyond offering a "secure base" [though the secure base
IS a PRIMARY NEED]. It was Christmas day and  I went down to visit with a
person I know in his "home" in this wonderful NEW modern suite with his own
kitchen and bathroom.  He was not home so I visited with the person at the
front desk who was busy preparing a Christmas dinner for all the residents.
The round tables [5 people to a table Andy'] were decorated.  Appetizers put
on a central table. Turkey cooking in the oven. Christmas music playing
through the loud speakers.

I was touched and moved by the care and commitment that was being
"expressed" and "performed" to offer an experience of connection and
"belonging" in a celebratory setting.  I thought to myself THIS is the MODEL
of how to respond to "homelessness"

The next part of this Christmas story is the aspect which left me
"reflective".  I asked my friend whose "home" is in this apartment building
how Christmas dinner went?  His answer was a surprise to me.  He said that
he had brought a friend over and the two of them, one other resident and the
person who prepared the meal sat down and had a wonderful dinner.  The other
residents, one by one, came down, filled their plates, AND RETURNED TO THEIR
OWN PRIVATE ROOMS.

Now this story is an extreme example of the profound dislocations in many
people's lives and how "dis-connected" from others in a way that gives them
an experience that they "matter".  It is clear many moves or "positions"
could have been taken [examples are making the preparation of the food more
inclusive, giving a set time to eat,  having all the plates "set" at the
table, etc]  My bigger point is to "explore the notion of secure base" as
dwelling.  Rod Parker's continuing to remind us that it is not "the
scaffolding" or building "structures" that "contain" our existence that is
PRIMARY. It is the intersubjective experience of MATTERING to others WITHIN
the "contained dwellings"  Structure and function are two sides of the same
coin and we cannot have "dialogue" or "discourse" without scaffolding and
structure and CONTAINMENT
BUT
for WHAT PURPOSES DO WE OFFER CONTAINMENT, [secure BASE, home, etc.]  The
answer is often to provide A PLACE FROM which TO EXPLORE, be creative, etc.
The place of "imitation" needs to be elaborated within these metaphors of
"containment" and "journey" [narrative]. However, with Rod Parker, the
centrality of experiencing "delight" in the "attunement" or "engagement" of
our INTERSUBJECTIVE activity seems to be a PRIMARY or FOUNDATIONAL GROUND
from which to begin.  From this primary ground we can "reflect" be
reflexive" and "react" TOWARDS others and self in constituting our
selves/worlds.

Larry