Re: [xmca] Thoughts on Digital Technologies and Poverty

Reading Yrjo's paper reminds me: many years ago when I was "Teaching Space Consultant" and Melbourne University (a job title the administration hope would quietly keep me out of the way) and I was at last making progress in convincing teaching staff that I could succeed in convincing the management to allow us to start redesigning the teaching rooms etc around how the teaching staff actually wanted to teach, instead of how architects remembered University in the 1960s or whatever. Then the University was given money by a charity to build a "Collaborative Learning Centre" in the Library where students could access it for long hours. (A game-changing opportunity, but it was a fait acompli by the time I heard about it).

So what was their conception of "collaborative learning"? - they bought about 100 computers, most of them were put in little carrels so designed that it was impossible even for a student to look over another student's shoulder, and the other half they put in 2 "laboratories" where the each student was hidden behind a screen and the teacher stood at a high bench at the front of the room and shouted into space. But it was "collaborative" because they were using software.

Once the place had been opened, with the aid of the full-time staff put there to offer technical support to students (Christ! If we'd had technical assistance in every seminar room!), we got some round tables made up for about 5 students per table, and placed one computer per table so groups of students could share it and talk about the work etc etc.

But on the other hand, a couple of weeks ago I attended a "local ISCAR" conference in Melbourne where people presented papers, and one of the papers was about how to train teachers to use a room like one I designed in collaboration with a teacher back in 1999. Apparently they are to be found all over the state nowadays. So it was nice to know that I hadn't been wasting my time. And teh round tables are still in use to this day.

Andy
Apologies for dumping on everyone. I should get over it!
Denise Newnham wrote:
Dear Mike and Yrjo and all xmca

First of all I wish you a very successful and happy 2011.

Mike the dilemma is one that to my mind hits the poverty sections the worst.
As we saw in our CRADLE project in Botswana (Africa) and ICT's in schools,
it is taken for granted that ICT's will be the answer to weak school
results. How to get heads of educational departments to understand that
ICT's are not a quick fix is really difficult. On the other hand well-to-do
companies spend fortunes on installing computer rooms without having
estimated the use potential. I must admit I share your feelings in the lack
of expansive potential in this type of thinking and when I look around and
see the poverty level and all that carelessly wasted money I feel a degree
of despair. Many children in Botswana do not even enter the school yard
which signifies intellectual poverty.
 It is true that part of this dilemma in Africa is where to begin. Many
rural people do have cell phones although they are not iphones. I found this
out on a bus journey at three in the morning between Maun and Gaborone. A
woman clothed in rags climbed on board at some remote spot and put her very
wet baby on my lap while she retrieved her cell phone from her ample breasts
and proceeded to chat away happily until a second cell phone rang and she
retrieved this from the same locus and spoke on both phones alternately. She
did no however appear to have money for diapers or school fees. Perhaps this
is a sign of the south meeting the west in the 21century but I don't think
that this is going to bridge the poverty gap.
Obviously we have another type of looming poverty in the 21c which comes in
the form of displaced peoples. As European countries tighten up on their
immigration laws poorer countries will be the destination for growing
numbers of refugees and asylum seekers (cf. statistics for South Africa in
2010). What forms of education will these people then obtain? It seems to my
mind that the educational gap is going to widen on this planet and I don't
see how computers are going to step in unless in a truly expansive fashion
as indicated by Yrjo's article. Just as a matter of interest have you read
the article by Bhabha (1996) entitled 'culture's in-between'? (this was to
Mike)

Well... happy 2011
Denise