Re: [xmca] Might we pause to consider? Imitation and the Zoped

Peter-- I have been reading out of sequence. It seems to me that the
approach you take to imitation and that proposed by Lois are quite similar
when you write:

So imitation is actually a constructive process, and so, I think, is
relevant in discussions of the ZPD in that it is relational, involves
adjustment, is reciprocal, involves new constructions, relies on
intersubjectivity, and so on. Just as the ZPD is often characterized as a
flat, one-way instructional process moving easily from here to there,
imitation can be pretty static. But not if the act of imitation is part of a
more complex process of appropriation.

Specifically, "creative imitation" implies to me the making of something
(the creat part) and linking it to appropriation also seems useful (both for
understanding appropriation and imitation).

Your coaching example brings up an aspect of imitation as a socio-culturally
mediated process that has not come up so far, reciprocal imitation. Seen in
mother-infant interaction of course, but having also coached sports some, I
quickly think of cases where, as a part of demonstation "how to do X" it is
common for a coach to imitate a player's action as means of providing a
compelling contrast between the "right" and "wrong" ways. Of course, the
coach cannot precisely repeat the player's actions which are situatedly
contingent, but s/he can provide a model with enough verisimilitude for the
player to imitate (constructively/creatively to be sure).

In both the coaching example, and an example such as a mother imitating a
child blowing bubbles in the bathtub, who imitates the mother imitating
him/her, the process of imitation cannot be exactly the same for the two
partners. How is the difference (how are the differences?) best
characterized?

mike