RE: [xmca] A real science of mind?

Andy, agreed. I was pointing to what I saw as a dangerous distortion of the role of medication in mental health, which is related to physical health in all the ways you and I probably agree on.

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:28 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] A real science of mind?

Peter, there are very clear instances of biological causes for mental
dysfunction. No-one doubts that one needs a functioning biological
system in order to function. But one would not suppose to explain why
people walk here and there by having two legs. Nonetheless, having only
one leg is something which ought to be treated. If there is someone who
denies absolutely that there can be biologically based dysfunction then
I am sure that they need a talking to. But personally, I find the
converse problem - of wanting to explain every psychological disposition
by biology, or just neurobiology - really dangerous. I presume, Peter,
that as a Cultural Psychologist you are guilty of neither sin. Leaving
out the latter positive part of that article I really found nothing
wrong with the 3-point platform against neurobabble.

Do we agree? To deny that "all psychological ills can be cured with
drugs" does not mean holding that "no psychological ills can be cured
with drugs."

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
Joint Editor MCA: http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Journal/