Re: [xmca] Out of Our Brains

Nice article Martin. And doesn't it seem obvious to us. And I guess all of the growing flow of articles like this contribute to turning back the flood tide of neuromadness and maybe even eventually the whole Zeitgeist.

But what I'd be interested in seeing is an article which actually challenges the view of the person-as-brain. To a neuroboffin, articles like this one are just charming metaphors, like memes, but don't in the slightest challenges the idea that the brain is doing all the work. I don't really accept that an ideology (like neuro-philosophy) is a closed system. I remain hopeful that it is possible to breach the fabric of the system, to find a loose thread which can be unravelled. Or maybe it is a gradual business that begins with "cultural neuroscience" or something, you know "How culture influences the brain"? How red spots show up on my imaging machine when I think about voting Democrat, etc.

What do people think?

Andy

Martin Packer wrote:
"minds, like bodies, are collections of parts whose deepest unity consists not in contingent matters of undetachability but in the way they (the parts) function together as effective wholes. When information flows, some of the most important unities may emerge in integrated processing regimes that weave together activity in brain, body, and world."

<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/12/out-of-our-brains/>__________________________________________

*Andy Blunden*
Joint Editor MCA: http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Journal/
Home Page: http://home.mira.net/~andy/