Re: [xmca] A bit more on Dynamic Assessment and second language development

Well, I for one shall be sorry if this really is the final exchange on the article; it seems to me we are just getting started. However, it is a busy time of year here in Korea as well (finals today!), so of course I understand.

But since we are all busy, it’s probably a good idea to concentrate on the real disagreements that we actually have. I think you would have to look very hard on this list to find someone who will argue the position that Michael Long and Vivian Cook have defended, to wit, that language acquisition is like digestion, basically the same process in children as adults, and impervious to whether we are doing it in a crowded restaurant or in an easy chair in our own living room. (I’m not even sure Long defends that position any more and I am quite sure that Vivian Cook no longer does.)

Certainly Mike was not arguing that Sasha’s ability to exercise volitional control at the lexical level even before he could exercise volitional control at the phonological level is exactly the same process as Donna’s predicament. Donna has volitional control at the phonological level and she is trying to exercise volitional control at the grammatical level. Her understanding of the passé compose as similar to a known construction in her first language is both a help and a hindrance.

Of course, there is a difference between “declarative” and “procedural knowledge”. The distinction is not at all new; it has a long history in psychology as well as in language teaching and it is associated with Anderson’s skill theory. The issue is not whether they are distinct. The issue is whether they are linked, and if so, how.

As I am sure you know, this is the key issue separating the approach of someone like Richard Schmidt, who holds a position very close to that of Vygotsky on "noticing" as the link between deliberate control of a "language feature" and purely reactive imitative use, and the "unconscious" acquisitionists, in which we must include people like Krashen. The whole debate is reminiscent of nothing quite so much as the debate between Vygotsky on the one hand and Piaget on the other concerning the way in which teaching-and-learning on the one hand and development on the other can be kept distinct as well as linked.

The  existence of people who fly to both extremes simultaneously, e.g. Ellis, Tarone and Long himself, is really reminiscent of nothing so much as Koffka and the Gestaltists, who believed that some kinds of teaching-and-learning really were the same as development (note: not linked to but identical with) and others were entirely unconnected. Ellis and Tarone hold that competence itself is variable (whatever that means), and Long now appears to think that the way in which eating becomes digestion is that we focus on forms while chewing. Both still believe that "implicit" learning is the gold standard of development rather than conscious and explicit choices.

My own position is closer to yours: I believe that conscious and deliberate choice is the goal, at least the goal of teaching-and-learning. However, I think that in order to have a conscious and a deliberate choice, one must first master the options. There is a good reason why adult language learning appears to be, in some ways, the reverse of first language learning, why adults begin with deliberate “declarative” control of the phasal aspects of speech and only end with what Anderson calls “procedural knowledge” after many years of work, while children appear to begin with fluent procedural knowledge and only achieve declarative control much later.

The reason is not because the two processes are completely distinct, but rather because they are linked: just as the classroom IS part of the real world when you are working or studying in it, foreign language learning DOES build onto your first language when you are doing it. To deny that at least SOME of the confusion we see in your data stems from a confusion between “elle a dit” and “she has said” is really to erect a Chinese wall where no such wall can exist. The unity of consciousness is complex, but it's there: a person with two languages does not have multiple personalities.

We can see this from the very inconsistent way in which your own transcript sometimes mistranslates the distinction between the passé compose and the imparfait and more often ignores it. Even in the translator’s mind, the English ways of conceptualizing whether or not an action is complete are not very well disentangled from the French ways of doing so.

I don’t think I ever said that tense has nothing to do with time. I think what I said was that tense is not time at all. But that is simply like saying that grammatical gender is not at all the same thing as biological sex; to say this does not imply that the use of a masculine pronoun has nothing whatsoever to do with the presence or absence of male genitalia in the object of reference.

“It’s time you did your homework” uses something that looks very much like the past tense but it means something that looks very much like the immediate future. I think the implied the contrast is between present and non-present, and one of the most vivid ways to do that in English is to contrast present and past.To say that a particular linguistic representation of a concept is not the concept itself does not imply that speech has nothing to do with thinking.

There are many ways to describe an English sentence like “I have said”; personally, I prefer Halliday’s designation of “past in present”. But I was using “imperfective” in exactly the sense that Poehner and Lantolf use it to describe the imparfait: “I have said” is a way of talking about a process whose completeness is not specified but a process is held to be relevant with respect to a given time of speaking. As such it is really closer to the imparfait than to the passe compose, appearances to the contrary notwithstanding.

I guess I think that is why it is a shame to give up the discussion at this point and simply wave each other in the direction of (e.g.) Comrie etc. (which I HAVE read, by the way!). It is only when the terminological knots that we take away from Anderson, Comrie, and even Vygotsky have really been unpicked and the meanings of terms have been warmed with the breath of the other that we are ready to start the debate in earnest.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education