Re: [xmca] Zebra Crossing into Poehner and Lantolf

Hi Jay

Welcome back to the conversation.
You wrote

Relative to mainstream testing, it's a bizarre hybrid. Relative to what good
teachers would really want to do in the best of all possible educational
environments, it's closer to a widely shared ideal. Still, it perhaps falls
a bit short of what an ideal tutor would be doing along similar lines. It is
still compromising with the fundamentally oppressive presumption that
"testing" is necessary, or for that matter a morally defensible practice at
all. But at least it offers something shifting in a better direction,
towards diagnostic practices whose main purpose is to help the learner,
rather than evaluative practices whose main purpose is to pseudo-legitimate
giving some people better lives and others worse ones (i.e. grading,
relative standing, sorting, denigrating, relegating, etc.).
Ask yourselves, based on the descriptions we have in the article, how does
DA change the relative power relations of learner and assessor- partner? and
how does it not? How does it serve some institutional functions better and
others less so, and which ones? On what timescales and how does the practice
itself promote learning/development? during its immediate enactment, and in
the days and weeks after?
Good instruction is, I think, continuously diagnostic and
responsive-dialogic. It does have to balance constantly among telling,
asking, suggesting, guiding, and most of all figuring out About What and
When. DA is more like good teaching and less like irredeemable testing.

Jay, these are excellent questions and I have my biased answers to some your
 questions.

As the article is written I would suggest the term "assessment" in dynamic
assessment may not be "centrally" focused on "assessment as evaluative" for
passing or failing a prescribed set curriculum.]
 The term assessment may be more oriented to "assessment for cognitive
modifiability" Modifiability indicates the degree and intensity of
 scaffolding required by the person "in the LEAD"  who is required to guide
the shared activity towards the novice learning a task or accomplishing an
activity.  I see this as a microanalytic intersubjective process where the
degree of "modifiability" can change rapidly and fluidly both towards
dependence or independence of the shared activity in a BI-directional
trajectory

I question if  cognitive modifiability is unidirectional.  Children who have
developed the individualistic normative value of "doing it myself" and are
stuck following this approach may learn to develop more flexible shared
patterns in a zone of proximal regulation where sharing externalized
dialogical reflexive [not reflective] approaches is seen as developing
increased cognitive modifiability.The internalized "reflective" processes
may move from a rigid "I can do it myself" to develop  a more flexible and
engaged cognitive orientation to "self/other" regulation on shared tasks.
I suspect ones biases to emphasize self-regulation as self-reflection OR
self-reflexive will depend on ones personal teleological bias of the
supossed direction of development.

On a speculative level, I wonder if what was socially externalized cognition
BECOMES internalized and after further consolidation MAY return to become
more externalized disrtibuted cognition within self-reflexive practices.

The term "modifiability", from this multilinear notion of development does
not assume that the ZPD and DA have to "assess" a unilinear trajectory of
increasing internalization towards INTERNAL SELF REGULATION.  An alternative
case can be proposed is to see cognitive MODIFIABILITY as being assessed.
In DA as the person "in the LEAD" monitors one's self, the other and the
interactional patterns which are microanalytically being enacted [and
assessed??] to help determine who will take or relinquishes the LEAD in
moment by moment RECOGNITION of the DYNAMIC multilinear flow of the
dialogue.  The more expert partner in this relational ZPD must make an
ongoing evaluative determination of when to take and when to relinquise the
LEAD.

The conceptand practice of "LEADING ACTIVITY" I sense is interpreted quite
differently in different cultural settings.  Taking the lead can be framed
as "positive" and providing the boundaries and CONTAINMENT to HOLD the
novice and DIRECT their development/learning/regulation in the ZPD.
However, in other cultural settings teachers in schools may be
hesitant and reluctant to view their roles as being in the LEAD in the
classroom providing boundaries and CONTAINMENT in forming a ZPD.

If the ZPD is seen as very fluid and dynamic and requiring continuous
monitioring BETWEEN expert and novice to maintain the boundaries and sense
of containment in the ZPD a sense of fluid agency can flouish in this
intersubjective THIRD space BETWEEN self and other that is responsive and
bidirectional.  However the expert has the responsibility to offer the lead
through scaffolding  when the situation requires.
 This interactive relational view of the ZPD and the methodology of DA to
monitor cognitive modifiability is one way to consider how the expert uses
DA  AS IF "dancers dancing" rather than AS IF "the conductor is
orchestrating"

I recognize that at times "conducting" classes of 30 may be necessary when
all the students must learn the same content and that teaching at those
times will require group conducting techniques.

However, this is a different type of teaching that is NOT dialogical and
sharing the lead back and forh as may happen when  dancers are dancing.

Teachers may require both dancing and conducting skills as pedagogical
strategies.  However, the critical skill is to know when to use each method
as they become more self-reflective on when to choose each method.

I also believe another form of assessment can be dynamically observedin the
ZPD - the assessment of  another person's sense of "agency" [degree of
self-regulation] can be dynamically assessed to interpret  the level of
engagement and perserverence the novice is directing towards the task.  When
the cognitive task becomes difficult and the novice requires the more expert
person to "take the lead" the sensitivity with which the expert walks
"alongside" [not behind pushing or in front pulling] is critical for the
novice being "recognized" and for the expert to  determine  the degree of
externalized "other-regulation" required  vs the degree of internalized
"self-regulation". I believe ones sense of agentic capacity can be nourished
in this dynamic process. {I wonder if this could be termed a "zone of
 self/other regulation" to contrast it with a "zone of proximal
development"}
It is probably more accurate to call these various factors to be monitired
within the ZPD through dynamic assessment.

This does NOT adress David's specific question if we are actuallytalking
about a Zone of proximal LEARNING rather than a Zone of proximal
Development.  I look forward to hearing more on that distinction and how
teachers can develop the skills to know the difference.

It also doesn't answer Andy's question of analyzing "concepts" as distinct
from "interactivity". Hope to hear more on the inadvisability of separating
what specific concepts are taught from the methods of DA.

I would hope that ALL teachers, in their teacher training programs would
come to understand the theoretical assumptions and presuppositions of
contrasting static and dynamic assessment.

Larry