From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of Larry Purss
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2010 4:40 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Marked joint activity affects neurons and synapses

H Monica

I have been meaning to respond to your very thoughtful and
insightful response to my reflections on reflective capacity. I appreciate
that you have previously struggled with the term "reflective" and have
recently been questioning the if the power of this metaphor is the best
metaphor to capture the complexity of sociocultural dynamic processes.

Monica, I also am struggling to find the "best" metaphors to understand the
complex process of the dialectic of culture and subjectivity. I have
recently tried linking the metaphor of reflection to other "re" terms such
as "recognition" "research" "return"  "reframe"  and "reflexive" etc. What
all these terms have in common is the recognition that "novelty" or
"newness" of changing perspectives and perceptions are always emerging from
previous experiences.

Your questioning the adequacy of the terms "primary" and "secondary" that
I've used to differentiate  between "tacit prereflective" understanding and
reflective understanding encourages me to reflect further on the
tacit/explicit distinction.  I am using the term "primary" as indicating
PRIOR TO in the phenomenological sense that an experience must FIRST be
LIVED THROUGH BEFORE it can be REFLECTED.

When referring to prereflective and reflective awareness the "time"
dimension  is implied in the distinction "primary" and "secondary"  Primary
consciousness may be "lived through" and when we "return" to the primary
prereflective experience the secondary perspective is a process of looking
AT the primary experience.  This "return" creates a new or novel
perspective that emerges from a prereflective awareness.

Monica, if the metaphor of reflection has a tendency to separate the "self"
from other and the sociocultural then other terms may be better.  Are you
aware of Julie Cheville's work on the "theory of  embodied cognition"? This
theory explores the adequacy of the term reflection and contrasts it with
the notion of "reflexion" She wrote an article in 2005

"Confronting the Problem of Embodiment" in the journal "International
Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education" Volume 18, No. 1,
January-February, 2005, pp. 85-107

In this article she quotes Donna Qualley's explanation of reflexivity this
way:

"Reflexivity is not the same thing as reflection, although they are often
part of the same recursive and hermeneutical process. When we reflect, we
fix our thoughts on a subject; we carefully consider it, meditate upon it.
Self-reflection ASSUMES that individuals can access the contents of their
own mind INDEPENDENTLY of others. Reflexivity, on the other hand, does NOT
ORIGINATE in the self but always occurs IN RESPONSE to a person's critical
engagement with an "other". Unlike reflection, which is a UNIDIRECTIONAL
thought process, reflexivity is a bi-directional, contrastive process"
(1997)

Cheville's writings are grounded in sociohistorical analysis, as she tries
to document how we culturally have taken a wrong turn in collapsing accounts
of embodiment into two reductive exclusionary frameworks that locate culture
and cognition on oppositional terms.  Her article explores how this
exclusionary divide was constituted and gets perpetuated in our current
academic institutions of higher education.  She proposes a theoretic frame
that locates the human body at the INTERSECTION of culture and cognition.
However, in order to develop this notion of the body as intersection she
presents an historical analysis that explains how competing theories of the
body got institutionalized in academic disciplines

Following the historical analysis, she explores the literature on "situated
cognition" [Lave, Rogoff, Kirshner& Whitson, Walkerdine, Engestrom] and
Cheville argues a theory of "embodied cognition" must represent the human
body as at once an OBJECT of culture AND a SUBJECT of cognition.  Body and
language are examined as DISTINCT but interrelated mediational tools as
Cheville attempts to reconcile culture, corporeality, and cognition in a
theory of embodied cognition.
Cheville suggests embodied cognition, as currently elaborated, fails to
acknowledge the complexities of culture and subjectivity.  She turns to the
literature on "cognitive linquistics" which considers how distinct mental
schemata ORIGINATE in the body's experience OF SPACE. [Lakoff & Johnson,
Rohrer]  She suggests a shift to the spatial discloses how material,
historical, and interactional features CONSTITUTE not only physical space
but the BODIES that inhabit the space.  She explores Foucaults work but
suggests his reconciliation of interiority and exteriority is limited to
OBJECTIFICATION that explained how bodily activity and resultant attitudes
are PRODUCED, ENFORCED, and DETERMINED. Cheville suggests embodied cognition
must also document how the human body EXERTS SUBJECTIVE influence on the
mind.

The scholar she turns to in order to bridge the culture/cognition divide is
Mark Johnson who wrote "The Body in the Mind: The Bodily Basis of Meaning,
Imagination, and Reason"  His book argues that bodily activity is
responsible for an array of IMAGE schemata that are mental structures that
are DISTINCT from PROPOSITIONAL structures that originate from symbolic
activity.  These image schemata are not distinct mental images but rather
ABSTRACT structures that attune one to "causal relations" temporal
sequences, part-whole patterns and other structures. Through a process
Johnson terms "imaginative projection" these "embodied" or image schemata
arise FROM bodily activity to play a CENTRAL role in meaning and
rationality.  As Cheville points out

"Johnson's contribution is to suggest how an entire array of schemata
emerges solely from bodily activity,a view that encourages those in and
beyond situated cognition to consider language as only one of the tools that
mediate cognition"

Mark Johnson argues that a sense of containment arises from CONCRETE
experiences of "in" and "out" and orients one to recognize and identify with
distal or proximal conditions, even in an ideational realm.  He asserts that
"when we actually move from one place to another, we experience ourselves as
traversing a path from one BOUNDED area to another."  In effect the
recurring concrete physical experience of being "inside" and "outside" of
culturally CODIFIED SPATIAL BOUNDARIES shapes an individuals ABSTRACT, or
non-physical, understanding as an agentic actor or observing by-stander.

This is one example of Johnson's use of embodied spatial positioning
structuring cognition. I see Cheville and Johnson exploring the same
framework and extending Mead's notion of the "social act" as embodied
activity.

I also believe the theory of embodied cognition can add to the discourse on
"dynamic assessment" and the ZPD being discussed in this month's article by
Poehner & Lantoff.

Monica, I hope I haven't moved off topic but the extended response, in the
spirit of dialogical cognition is a way of bringing in the distinction
between reflection as "self-referential and "reflexive" as engaged
dialogical intersbjective referential.

Larry

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Monica Hansen <
monica.hansen@vandals.uidaho.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> Thank you for that last response. There is so much in your post that I
wish
> to respond to and most importantly the use of "reflection" as a metaphor
in
> your attempt to place personal development within sociocultural contexts.
> share in the struggling over this particular topic. So bear with me as I
> attempt to voice the difficulty with using "reflection" as a metaphor for
> biological, mental, social processes. It is not so much "reflection" in
> itself but the distinction at first implied by the metaphor as a way to
> characterize dynamic/active/interactive processes. In the past I have been
> fan of reflection as a metaphor so it is with the awkward discomfort of
> retracting prior arguments I work through this apparently and newly
> emergent
> critique.
> First, on the distinction between tacit understandings and implicit
> understandings. If something is understood tacitly first, you use the
> descriptors "primary" and "secondary", which imply to me an order. It is a
> linear sequence, first one and then the next. This could be considered as
> serial sequence. Can one, which emerges developmentally out of the other,
> ever really exist as separate from that which was the occasion for its
> origination in the first place? It is the same difficulty with serial
> models
> of lexical access. Is it a step by step process? It does not seem likely
> with more research available, and the old models have evolved to fit with
> our new data and our new hypotheses.
> Besides being visually attractive, reflections as images made of light,
> capture some of the nature of the reflexive relationship between the whole
> person, the construct of the self, and the person as seen by others:
> resemblance, representation and possibly bi-directionality of influence.
> However, these qualities do not, in my humble opinion, adequately
encompass
> all the implications of dynamic, living relationships at any level, micro,
> macro, etc. and it's these implications within the larger theories that
> cause my difficulties in teasing the parts from the whole, which you
> describe as "inextricably co-constitutive". "Reflection" as a metaphor
> implies three separate images that correspond with three separate
> constructions: the person as a whole, the construction of the image of
self
> as separate from the whole the person (like a reflection in a mirror), and
> the person as he/she appears to others (like in a painting or photograph
or
> even a video). One of my favorite Spanish paintings for thinking upon this
> topic is Velsaquez's "Las Meninas" (1656), which depicts the image of a
> scene which is a reflection in a large mirror of the painter (Velasquez
> himself) painting the very same painting of the scene he is working in.
All