Re: [xmca] Zebra Crossing

David,
I am very much taken with your comments on imitation and
intra-revolu-turn-ation in the  Zeta Pi Delta because in my own schema it
connects with Newman and  Holtzman's view of imitation. _We take great pains
in our own psychological, cultural and political work......to distinguish
performing from its dialectical opposite, acting." (1993, p. 153) . They go
on to describe acting as "representational- it is copying, mimicking,
repeating without being ahead of one's self.....performing is the varied and
creative imitation of revolutionary activity, i.e. making history, making
meaning, to reinitiate a learning (cognitive, emotional, cultural) that
leads to development).

I am reminded of Bob Dylan's early "performances" of Woody Guthrie. He
sounded like him, dressed like him and he even imitated an Okie accent in
his early work as a singer/songwriter yet all the while he was developing
"ahead of himself". Or look at Vera John-Steiner's work in CHAT,as it
evolved from translating LSV, to her work in cognitive pluralism and
creative collaboration.

Where can I get a copy of Mauricio Ernica's article?

It is also amazing to me to see the ways that Maxine Greene's work in
aesthetic education  intersects with "Psychology of Art".

Where can we get the passage on Sapir in Chapter One ? Did you translate it?

Thanks again for the Truffles David!

RL

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 6:57 AM, David Kellogg <vaughndogblack@yahoo.com>wrote:

> I have just read a remarkable article on "Thinking and Speech" and the
> "Psychology of Art" by Mauricio Ernica in Brazil. He argues that there are
> three clear links between the two:
>
> a) The social formation of consciousness ("art as the social tool of
> emotion")
> b) The distinction between higher and lower emotions ("the aesthetic
> response")
> c) The mutual annihilation of content and form (catharsis)
>
> He points out that only a) is really EXPLICIT in T&S. But he argues that b)
> is implicit in the idea, most clearly expressed in the passage on Sapir in
> Chapter One which is unfortunately missing from all the English
> translations, on how the emotional, or affective volitional, side of word
> meaning is what really gets transformed when words develop into concepts.
> And c) is implicit in the idea that lexicogrammatical subjects, predicates,
> and even categories like number and gender are quite different from the
> psychological subjects, predicates, and other semantic categories of inner
> speech.
>
> I think all that is really true, and it came a shock to me. I've spent the
> last month or so rootling around in Psychology of Art for the truffles of
> Thinking and Speech. And here is Mauricio Ernica doing exactly the opposite,
> rummaging around in the later work and coming up with some real jewels of
> the earlier one.
>
> But one thing that is simply NOT in the Psychology of Art in any implicit
> form at all is the zone of proximal development. I think Andy is right to
> question whether the Zoped applies to fully developed humans in exactly the
> same way it does to children who are in the process of catastrophic,
> revolutionary ontogenetic developments every three years or four years or
> so.
>
> But for precisely that reason we have to question whether withdrawal of
> support is the crucial, essential, typical moment of development! Vygotsky
> says that IMITATION provides the actual content of the zone of proximal
> development--not imitation in a narrow sense, it is true, but intelligent
> imitation which includes the understanding of the purpose of the action and
> the possiblity of "intra-revolu-turning". It's very hard to see how you can
> "imitate" a lack of support or intra-revolu-turn-ate it.
>
> Yet this is basically the "scaffolding" interpretation of the ZPD put
> forward by Bruner (in, among other places, his preface to Thinking and
> Speech). Sure enough, it is an interpretation which CAN apply to adults in
> almost exactly the same way that it does to children, because it does not
> distinguish between microgenetic teaching-and-learning and ontogenetic
> development.
>
> In the nineteenth century, the key problem which vexed the first ecologists
> (Haeckl) anthropologists (Levy-Bruhl) and psychologists (Hall) was whether
> [...]

*Robert Lake  Ed.D.
*Assistant Professor
Social Foundations of Education
Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8144
Phone: (912) 478-5125
Fax: (912) 478-5382
Statesboro, GA  30460

 *Democracy must be born anew in every generation, and education is its
midwife.*
*-*John Dewey.