Re: [xmca] RE: co-evolution of humans and canids

Peter & Rod

The articles posted both point in the same direction as the documentary I
watched.
Rod, the research Dawkins described on the silver foxes is in the
documentary and you actually SEE the unintended physical changes as the
silver foxes come to resemble dogs.
However, dogs genetically are related to wolves, as the article Peter
submitted emphasizes.

The particular narrative one composes to "explain" the evolutionary changes
is speculative BUT what does seem relevant is that the COORDINATION of human
and wolfe interactivity did transform the wolves capacity to "understand"
the "intentions" of humans.  This interactive coordination can be called a
form of "communication" that is a result of ATTUNEMENT [however one explains
that process.
It was interesting that very young puppiess had this capacity to "attune" to
human "intentions" [as seen on the documentary] but baby wolves raised with
humans from birth never achieved this capacity.

It seems to speak to a distinction between "attunement" and "cognition" and
may possibly indicate "attunement" is foundational to the later development
of "cognition"

Larry