Re: [xmca] Fwd: [Air-L] what should an introductory course cover in "Internet Communication"?

Mike
Outcome Based Education is assessment driven. It tells you what and how to
assess, but has virtually no theory of learning except that it is
"facilitation" and group work is gospel. The teachers, of course, would want
to teach to the assessment (test), but the assessment is not the same as
teaching.Children are also supposed to be assessed on how they work in
groups, but when you have 40 children in the class and up to ten groups,
this is very difficult to do. The result is that children don't learn to
read properly and never write anything for themselves. The original reason
for such a strange"theory of instruction" is the need to regularise the
education system across school and adult basic education. (Hence the
facilitation and group work.)

This is not true of a small minority of private schools who have gone their
own way teaching the children to read and write and do math. Their children
do staggeringly better than the rest of the students.

South Africa has had this system for 13 years and even the best students who
go to university have really struggled. We now have a new curriculum that is
heavily content driven. It will be put into effect in 2012, and will be the
third change in 15 years.

It is not clear whether this new curriculum, which is heavily oriented
towards math and literacy will make a difference.  South Africa came *stone
last *on the last TIMMS and PIRLS (Science maths and language
internationally benchmarked tests).The suburban children scored well, but
they constitute a tiny minority of the schools. The USA children came in the
middle, and the Finnish children came out top. I think there was about 80
countries.

Instead of doing "tests' or "exams" the children do Assessment Tasks, which
means that they do tests without sitting in silent rows.The whole system has
slid into a remedial level system, as the children have become political
fodder. The teachers have "change fatigue", and just want to be left alone.

(I read up a bit about the Finnish system.  Each class has two teachers.
The first teachers teaches the new concept, and then the second teacher
re-teaches it to the children who didn't really understand, while the first
teachers works with those who did understand.It didn't say HOW they teach.)

So that's where a system which has no theory of instruction gets you. Have
you ever tried to "facilitate" a small child into learning how to read? This
is a total mystery to me.

Carol

WORK as:
Visiting Lecturer