From: Fiona Barnett <fiona.barnett@duke.edu>
Date: October 20, 2010 10:41:32 AM EDT
To: hastac-scholars2011@duke.edu
Subject: First Forum is Live: Openness in Academia

Announcing the our first HASTAC Scholars forum of the year!

Openness in Academia

http://www.hastac.org/forums/hastac-scholars-discussions/openness-academia

Hosted by: Jenna McWilliams (Indiana), Jana Remy (UC Irvine) and Susannah McGowan (UCSB)

While the spirit of openness has gained traction in academia, significant challenges exist. How can scholars balance a belief in openness and transparency with requirements to tenure and career advancement? In instruction, how open is too open? How can the university embrace openness and still remain necessary?

Please join us for the first HASTAC Scholars Forum: Openness in Academia. In this forum, we’ll explore the benefits and challenges of embracing openness in research, teaching, and university policy, with a particular focus on the changing role of academia in an increasingly open culture. How do you approach openness in your work?

The spirit of openness is gaining traction in academia, both with faculty who are coming to embrace openness in their teaching, research, and publications and with administrators who work to introduce openness in institutional policies. More than a dozen major universities now offer some of their course content to the general public through the use of OpenCourseWare or similar tools; hundreds of universities have committed to making research available through open access policies; and more than 5000 open-access journals are publishing scholarly work. Yet this progress can obscure or restrict important conversations about the significant challenges to embracing openness in academia.

Please join us in a conversation of openness in academia, including on the following questions:

Openness in research and publishing: How can new academics gain prominence in their field while still embracing openness? How can academics and scholars who are committed to openness negotiate this in their interactions with institutions that rely on scarcity and closed access?

Openness in professional and personal identities: To what extent is privacy at odds with openness? How can academics make decisions about how public to make their engagement with non-academic communities and networks? What is the value of or drawback to developing anonymous or pseudonymous identities, and do these conflict with the spirit of openness?

Openness in teaching and learning: How can we engage openly and transparently with our colleagues about what happens in the classroom? How would this affect our students?

Openness in policy: Is openness a threat to the university model? How can institutions embrace openness and still remain necessary?

Invited Guests:

Edward Maloney (Georgetown)
Joshua Danish (Indiana University)
Clay Whipkey (OpenCourseWare)