From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of Michael Glassman
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2010 11:50 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: RE: [xmca] Tom Toolery

This is interesting Lucas - I took a look at the extended mind thesis and my
own gut feeling is that Bateson was more trying to solve a problem with his
man/cane metaphor than propose an idea.  The trouble with applying the
man/cane metaphor to lanuage is that once you throw a word out into the
world it has a really good chance of becoming detatched from you, from your
mind, from your thinking.  To me, right now it seems, Bateson was all about
trying to get rid of the mechanistic parts of cybernetics while maintaining
the idea of feedback loops.  There has to be some type of continuous
connection as you extend out or the system breaks down, and that is why
language based systems so often break down or go off kilter.  The thing
about the cane is it represents an actual visceral link between the mind and
the world so that there is a constant feedback loop.  It takes the extension
of the mind to the next level.  So to my thinking right now, and I may have
this wrong from any number of directions (lacking feedback loops to the
ideas) Bateson is trying to figure out something beyond the extended mind
thesis.

Michael

  _____