From:   Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu>
To:     "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date:   10/14/2010 10:24 AM
Subject:        Re: [xmca] LSV on the preschool stage
Sent by:        xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu

Hi Eric,

My reading is that at each stage there is development of awareness and
deliberate control of a specific aspect of the child's relationship to the
world. The infant develops mastery of the Great-we, the toddler develops
mastery of a world of affordances, the preschooler  is mastering the field
of meaning, the school-age child comes to master the 'inner field' of
their psychological functions, while the adolescent masters the field of
possibilities.

Martin

On Oct 14, 2010, at 10:29 AM, ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org wrote:

> [...]

> as I now am.
>
> And then trying to relate them to Piaget's work is complex. Piaget
himself

> had two distinct ways of describing the limitations in preschoolers'
> cognition (though he was consistent in emphasizing its limitations). One

> was in terms of egocentrism, the second in terms of limitations in the
> child's capacity to form mental representations at this stage (they are
> static, focused on a single dimension, etc.). LSV knew about the first
of
> these, but didn't live long enough to encounter the second. So we have
> extrapolate from his critique of Piaget's early work in order to infer
> what he might have said about conservation tasks, for example.
>
> First humbling experience: trying to reconcile the fact that
preschoolers
> seem to be not only aware of the distinction between appearance and
> reality but actively mastering it in their pretend play, while at the
same

> time they fail to distinguish between what a piece of playdoh really is
> and how it appears. Should we presume that the appearance/reality
> distinction slowly develops as consequence of playing (as Gaskins and
> Goncu once proposed)? Or are these phenoman related in some other way?
> Does anyone know of studies that have explored the timing of acquisition

> of these two (conservation and pretend play)? I h
>
> Second, my simple way of explaining LVS's view, and then contrasting it
> with Piaget's, has been to say that Piaget considered the preschooler's
> thought to be mental action on mental representations, and their speech
>
> be simply the expression of this thought, and consequently as
manifesting
> the same egocentric characteristics. LSV, on the other hand, proposed
that

> preschoolers think, at least at first, only when they talk. Talk only
goes

> completely 'inner' at the end of this stage. (There is simplification
> here, as I try to grapple with the fact that in some texts LSV wrote of
> preverbal thinking occurring as early as infancy, with the first use of
> tools, while in others he writes of thinking differentiating from
> perception and action only in the preschool stage. I'm not suggesting
> those two claims are mutually exclusive, but it does take a bit of work
>
> reconcile them.)
>
> This raises the question, how would children perform on the three
> mountains task, for example, if they were allowed, or encouraged, to
speak

> aloud in order to figure out the answer? ("The doll is over there, and
so
> while the green mountain is to my left, she must see it to her
right...").

> Anyone know of such a study? Anyone want to try such a study?The videos
> have just shown in class don't offer much opportunity for this, but if
LSV