RE: [xmca] The "Semantics" of Vowels and Consonants?

So many ideas to respond to and so little time!

Isn't it more likely that our associations between 'mmm' and baby related concepts may be more to do with the fact that this is one of the first recognisable sounds produced by babies? Mamas, Moms, mothers and mummies all over the world have reason to like the idea that these first sounds refer to them (fathers are left with papa or dada). But how things may have begun is always only a part of the story - layers upon layers of cultural associations and connotations are wrapped around the infant word as it is used in particular kinds of situations and contexts.

A Carol pointed out, phonemes are category labels rather than names of 'things' - a way of splitting the infinite variations of sound into a limited number of chunks. After the age of about 9 months we begin to actively filter our perception of speech sounds to privilege meaningful distinctions in the languages used around us so there are probably many more SPEECH sounds than any one of us thinks there are because we think only of the sounds we are still able to discriminate.

Where J.G. differs from David's version of Piaget's view, that 'You have to imagine what you would be thinking if you were making the noises that you are hearing', he seems to me to be closer to Reddy's 'second person perspective' which has been aired here in the past - babies don't have to 'imagine' or 'think' - they have only to engage or respond.

Also, while there may be some very general, physiological, associative principles in the affective force of sounds (large, grande, enorme versus little, teensy weensy, petit, piccolo for example, and associations with 'squeak' and 'roar') there is also space for enormous variation in the effect that words have when they are spoken in different ways by people with different kinds of voice and by people in different moods (you really can hear the difference between someone reciting letter of the alphabet while smiling or while frowning).

Here's an experiment - download the transcript of Vikram Ramachandran's lecture 'Phantoms in the brain' from
http://www.bbc.co.uk/print/radio4/reith2003/lecture1.shtml?print

Read the first paragraph or two before you click on the 'listen' button and then compare the experience of your reading and hearing Ramachandran's voice (all of the lectures from this series are still well worth listening to).

Sounds and words may 'have' some power of signification, whether because of their/our physiological properties or because of the layers of association they have accumulated (some of which may be forgotten by or unknown to most of us) but this is a thin, diagrammatic sort of meaning. It is when they are performed by a speaker (or singer) that they can serve as an interface, allowing us to hear through them and engage with/respond to the life of another person.

So - apologies for my thin, diagrammatic contribution.

All the best,

Rod

P.S. I still think there is a significant affective distinction between the effect of a simile and the effect of a metaphor - a simile announces itself while a metaphor can get to you more immediately.